Kids Playing Army Wearing Steel Helmets And Or Liners.

patches

easterneagle87

Great postings! I put a couple photos up years ago a couple of years ago. I'll re-dig them out and re-post. Great memories! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Ultimate Thrill, Though highly unlikely he was allowed to Play Army with it 1109167268_emoticonsmile.png.918f9c4a4e0d578a438959fcd80881eb.png

image.png.858247bf9f6a99ab42a53b728b3f398d.png

Yes that's a real Brigadier General's Steel Helmet, it is the helmet of Brigadier General Charles Keerans, the ill fated Assistant Divisional Commander of the 82nd Airborne Division who was Posted Missing on Sicily. Helmet is being worn by his Son Donald, probably the exact same helmet he wore in the Invasion of Sicily, it just hasn't received the Camo job yet (many of the AA Division Staff had their helmets done up in a unique camouflage pattern).

So photo has to taken at Camp Claiborne Louisiana some time in late 1942 early 1943 before the 82nd ships out to Africa.

Kurt Barickman

We used to buy all sorts of WWII militaria at Ladd´s surplus store in Fairmont MN as a kid in the 1960s to play army with; why bother with other stuff when you could play with real material.

Kurt

12 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

Looks like a Hawley liner also.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Yes and notice too he's wearing a M1910 Pack, his beaming countenance says it all,

39 minutes ago, 12thengr said:

My brother again, this time I'm with him wearing the kids helmet. Parris rifles, canteens, mess kits, and a home made tank!

1074302_556002817782455_1123521192_o.jpg

The Tank or Self Propped Anti Tank Gun looks pretty Potent 1199609085_emoticonsmile.png.5eba026d01c0f3fa25a18714894a90c8.png

• 1 year later...

A 1943 photo in Detroit Michigan of members of an youth organization called the Junior Commandos, can't really find anything on it, as it has no Wiki. 

Toy Tin Hats and what looks like solid Wood Rifles.

juinor commandos detroit 19430003.jpg

I'd never heard of the Junior Commandos but I did a little digging... They were kids who volunteered to collect scrap materials for the war effort. In the Fall of 1943, ads started appearing for Junior Commando helmets. I don't think these were linked to the scrap collecting drive. They just shared the name. These must be the "toy" Hawleys we've all seen at one time or another. This ad is from Loeser's Department Store in Brooklyn, NY.

Tom

Junior Commandos Daily_News_Wed__Dec_15__1943_.jpg

Here is a 8mm film still of me wearing one when I was maybe 13-14. Making one of several "war movies".

Got the belts of m60 blanks from my brother who was an Army Medic.

Jerry.jpg

I guess I grew up in what could be a rough neighbor hood at times, there were many rock throwing fights across the creek, I wore either a M1917 helmet or the old Texaco Fire Chief helmet, I'm sure some of you remember those. It offered more protection to your neck. I remember a few direct hits dinging into my helmet. The stuff kids do... these later turned into BB gun fights, Yeah I took a few hits too. Lucky I still have my eyes. Duh 

I look back and can laugh now.. 

texaco helmet.jpg

1 hour ago, 268th C.A. said:

I guess I grew up in what could be a rough neighbor hood at times, there were many rock throwing fights across the creek, I wore either a M1917 helmet or the old Texaco Fire Chief helmet, I'm sure some of you remember those. It offered more protection to your neck. I remember a few direct hits dinging into my helmet. The stuff kids do... these later turned into BB gun fights, Yeah I took a few hits too. Lucky I still have my eyes. Duh 

I look back and can laugh now.. 

texaco helmet.jpg

Got one of the Fire Helmets for Christmas one year. Still have it but the eagle didnt survive to well. Also have the red fuel truck with cab that pivots that showed up at one Christmas or another. If I had the family pics I may have a picture of it

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, otter42 said:

Interesting photo, kids are older, and looks like they are on a military base. Wearing their dad's uniforms? 

20230404_122618.jpg

Aren't they GIs? GIs goofing around.

16 hours ago, otter42 said:

Not sure, I thought they looked pretty young,  but maybe your correct. 

Young yes. But as we see at least two are Pfcs, with one a Spec 3, junior EMs all.

Found these last year while researching the 71st Airborne Brigade but didn't save them at the time, was able to find them again though. Kids attending a jump school put on by the 71st airborne brigade in 1970

71stabnkidsjumpschool.jpg.5dfefe7e36dc2d508fa83c9bf0a0f80e.jpg71stabnkidsjumpschool2.jpg.457a4ba5b089543c1b159cb4e29f77e4.jpg71stabnkidsjumpschool3.jpg.d4759efe31736e7d11ec9a62cdfc1c12.jpg

Wow, the kids on the jump tower brought back a memory of Lakewood Fairgrounds in Atlanta. Back in the 1970's the Army had a tower there and did "airborne training" for kids at the fair. Probably a recruiting thing.

3 hours ago, CPT Tuttle said:

Wow, the kids on the jump tower brought back a memory of Lakewood Fairgrounds in Atlanta. Back in the 1970's the Army had a tower there and did "airborne training" for kids at the fair. Probably a recruiting thing.

That was my guess when I saw these. Maybe not direct recruiting but at least outreach to build interest in the Army. Glad it brought back some memories! I tried doing a quick search of GA newspapers to see if I could find anything similar but didn't have luck.

• 2 months later...

Monkey Patrol Helmet. I had one of those helmets in '63-'64.

I noticed the resemblance in that helmet and a modern day Russian helmet.

Monkey Patrol helmet 1960s.jpg

Military Russian Helmet 2021.jpg