Kids Playing Army Wearing Steel Helmets And Or Liners.

patches

Theorywolf

Sorry that I did not take photos when we were kids! Anyway, I grew up on the line between South and North Carolina. Hwy 401 ran right from Ft. Bragg and through my home town about 45 miles south. We had a large gang of boys who sported all kinds of WW II items, including M1 fix bales with Hawley liners, SS German helmets and on and on! My best memories were back around 1964. We were lined up along Hwy 401 from dawn until dusk as troops from Ft. Bragg were returning from a large summer training down at Ft. Jackson, Columbia, SC. We shouted until our voices were gone, "throw us a helmet! A helmet!". They had the Vietnam cover back then. We did not get one all day. But we did get more K-ration cans to feed our army for about two weeks! I also got a M1 clip of blanks (sure that was a mistake for the soldier but it made my day for sure!). We were six years old. I had an early Vietnam helmet and a black German helmet with the National shield on it. Where those two helmets went I will never know. But I have more than made up for the loss of those two helmets when I started collecting in 1996!! :D

Cheers,

Mike

Lancer-86; What do you know about the snowshoes in your photo? Do you know whether they are military? I have a pair just like them and they have "US" and a ww2 date on them.

Here's a picture of two kids in Korea.

post-154926-0-91617300-1432521009.jpg

No playing or make believe here I,m afraid. This photo, it's from David Duncan's seminal 1951 photo essay of the USMC from Pusan-Inchon to Chosin, This is War! These babies were given shelter, and were given the helmets by Marines to wear during a exchange of small arms fire or such (don't got the book any more), the helmets I imagine were either spares (from casualties) or where given off the their own heads by the Marines.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I wish I had pictures of my and my friend in elementary school. We played war in his backyard with a load bearing vest, a WWII liner and a ww1 doughboy helmet, not sure what became of them.

• 3 months later...

post-34986-0-57986700-1442712722.jpg

Not wearing helmets as we see but a great photo nevertheless, caption explains most of it, but adding that this photo is from the summer of 1937, several units of the Regular Army and National Guard including the 137th Infantry, 35th Division was there, the 35th Division fulfilling it Drill for that year. I expect the boys are from the town itself rather then dependents from Ripley.

• 1 month later...

Not exactly steel helmets or liners, but does show a few of the toy Army accessories that went along with the wearing of real helmets, that is if the kids had them and didn't have to settling for a plastic toy one.

post-34986-0-43751500-1446001004.jpg

Photo came from this site. It's a cool site, and I suggest studying it, as there are other clickable pages on it.

http://www.jeffs60s.com/armytoys.php

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried wearing my Dad's M1917A1 (that's him wearing it in my avatar pic) from time to time, but it was too big for my head. I did wear a plastic toy M1 thingee until a neighbor kid decided to see how good it worked and smashed a big rock on it...while I was in it. It didn't work too well, but I'm much better now.

This is me with the first helmet I bought at my local Surplus Store about '82 or '83. Still have the helmet in my collection.

post-12853-0-59418500-1498009666_thumb.jpg

post-12853-0-71617000-1498009673_thumb.jpg

Awesome pictures guys !

Really enjoying what is being posted here !!

Anyone pictures of them in vietnam cammo so I can use for my camoulfage book ?

owen

• 3 years later...

Found this to add, three kids in the early 60s one is wearing a real liner on the right, the one on the left appears to have  kiddie toy store one, and the fella in the center is making do with a football helmet, Gee I hope that kid on the left is "Smoking" a Candy Cigarette LOL LOL 

mju.jpg

Remember those the Candy Cigs LOL.

vintage-candy-cigarettes-counter.jpg

In my old neighborhood back in the 60's, the chance of a real cigarette was about 50/50.. :D   Man, I love those old candy cigs!

On 5/19/2015 at 2:20 PM, BOLO said:

ebay photo: kid wearing a helmet with submachine gun in Korean War

post-1885-0-07830700-1432081188.jpg

Too cool, a Russian PPSH, and a US M1, and some hbt’s, just too cool.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

JPEG_20190929_213217.jpg.edcee661c65dd73fbe1033e4dfb7a785.jpg

Me age 9, I've got to be honest I wasn't the kindest to the helmet although it wasn't in the greatest shape to begin with. Oh well, I guess live and learn. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2015 at 12:45 PM, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

How'd you get a helmet on a dog? I've tried many times and my dog gets freaked out.

post-7752-0-26610900-1527706314.jpegEasy

On 9/19/2015 at 8:33 PM, patches said:

post-34986-0-57986700-1442712722.jpg

Not wearing helmets as we see but a great photo nevertheless, caption explains most of it, but adding that this photo is from the summer of 1937, several units of the Regular Army and National Guard including the 137th Infantry, 35th Division was there, the 35th Division fulfilling it Drill for that year. I expect the boys are from the town itself rather then dependents from Ripley.

Great Picture !! I spent 2 weeks at Camp Ripley in 1984. That place is way out in the woods. There are bears there and cougars.. The place is loaded with wildlife.

We dug in right on the river bank and then secondaries back in the woods. Stayed in one spot for about 10 days.