help with display?

WW2JAKE

im honestly not sure where to post this, sorry!

this money was brought back by my grandpa from Korea... anyways im making a shadow box and it will be part of it but i dont know how to get it to stay? i DONT want to use tape and the money sleeves you can buy for old and rare dollar bills is too small. any ideas appreciated i have been thinking for almost 2 months on how to do it with no success... the little slide on corner tape things i use for pictures wont stick to the felt.

any help appreciated

post-125364-0-85069000-1426110425.jpg

1966ww2collector

My wife used to frame pictures. A couple of very small drips of clear adhesive silicone should hold it. Try it out on a dollar bill and felt first.

My wife used to frame pictures. A couple of very small drips of clear adhesive silicone should hold it. Try it out on a dollar bill and felt first.

that sounds like it'd ruin one side of it? which is why i dont want to use tape

BigDogMilitaria

You can buy plastic sleeves for baseball cards, and i think even for money. They call them top loaders. Check ebay, you can get a bunch for cheap.

You can buy plastic sleeves for baseball cards, and i think even for money. They call them top loaders. Check ebay, you can get a bunch for cheap.

i have those but like i said none of the ones i have fits because they are too small... let me take a size comparison picture real quick

You could cut two pieces of acrylic (plexiglass) to size or a little larger and sandwich the bills between the layers, then glue or attach to the felt or backing. You can find thin plexiglass frames at lots of places - very inexpensive.

1966ww2collector

that sounds like it'd ruin one side of it? which is why i dont want to use tape

If you took it to a framing store and asked them to put it in a shadow box, that is most likely what they would do. It takes a very small amount. Yes, some might stay on it if you took it apart but it probably wouldn't be noticeable. You need a spot about the size of a match head. But I can understand if you don't want to take a chance. I remember we did some two dollar bills that way. I figured we wouldn't be taking them out ever. They are still there.

The sleeve idea is a good one too. That way you won't take a chance.

these are larger than regular dollars (its under the 20) they dont make a sleeve the right size. i checked... but the Plexyglass sounds like a good idea but i dont know where to get it

post-125364-0-80199100-1426111307.jpg

You should be able to purchase plastic sleeves that will work, they come in a variety of sizes. I have bills that same size and larger and have them in sleeves. Check out websites for currency collectors as they have them for even the "blanket bill" the us was using at the turn of the century. They would fit these as they are considerably larger than our standard currency of today.

You should be able to purchase plastic sleeves that will work, they come in a variety of sizes. I have bills that same size and larger and have them in sleeves. Check out websites for currency collectors as they have them for even the "blanket bill" the us was using at the turn of the century. They would fit these as they are considerably larger than our standard currency of today.

will have to check it out, im a coin guy not paper money guy so i checked where i knew and found nothing that would fit. any suggestion on where to look?

TreasureHunter

Yes, I use them all the time, check your local sports card shop, you would be amazed at what display items they have that you can use on displays. Also coin shops carry displays for paper money. I buy cardboard baseball card boxes from my local shop to ship small items in. Bill

what else is going to be in the shadow box?

a picture, SSI, ribbons, medals, collar brass, DUI, and chevrons. everything else has been placed and is going to stay but this was the one thing i couldnt get

I guess my only suggestion would be that hopefully you have those clear sleeves you use in binders to display full size documents, put the money in one, cut around the dollar leaving some access sleeve around the dollar, then staple the access back together to make a custom sleeve for your dollar, you may also be able to heat the plastic sleeve up and have it melt back shut. Then you can tape or glue the sleeve into the shadow box!

I guess my only suggestion would be that hopefully you have those clear sleeves you use in binders to display full size documents, put the money in one, cut around the dollar leaving some access sleeve around the dollar, then staple the access back together to make a custom sleeve for your dollar, you may also be able to heat the plastic sleeve up and have it melt back shut. Then you can tape or glue the sleeve into the shadow box!

GENIUS!

Jake heres how i have some invasion money displayed. they used corners and it doesnt effect the money at all. The corners adhere to the board and the money just slides in since the plastic is on two sides. Sort of hard to see since they are clear.

post-22057-0-26469600-1426114530.jpg

post-22057-0-06387500-1426114531.jpg

Jake heres how i have some invasion money displayed. they used corners and it doesnt effect the money at all. The corners adhere to the board and the money just slides in since the plastic is on two sides. Sort of hard to see since they are clear.

i love that display for one and i use those for pictures but they dont stick to the felt backing

i love that display for one and i use those for pictures but they dont stick to the felt backing

use two pieces of board. cut a frame out for them to set them in, and place black board under it and you can stick it too it still keeping the felt sort of like whats done with mine and frame them out.

use two pieces of board. cut a frame out for them to set them in, and place black board under it and you can stick it too it still keeping the felt sort of like whats done with mine and frame them out.

yeah thats how i made my familly vet frame, the mat makes it look very professional but this one is already backed