folding uniforms

David D

I was wondering if I stored.some of my uniforms in a few bins I bought. if it would leave creases on the uniform if I folded it very carefully?

Thanks

Dave

Yes it will.

But better that than stored somewhere they will get eaten by bugs or wet.

Creases can be steamed out etc... and they shouldn't be terrible or deep if you're careful.

-Brian

Captainofthe7th

You will probably end up with creases...I try to fold on pre-existing creases or fold everything the military way. For example, I do Navy jumpers inside out and rolled up based on the bluejacket manual. At least that way when/if there are creases they are what would have been there if they'd been stored since 1944.

Rob

Yes it will.

Creases can be steamed out etc... and they shouldn't be terrible or deep if you're careful.

-Brian

I plan on storing them in a secure bin on closer shelves. That won't cause any damage or will it...

Dave

Yes it will.

-Brian

I plan on storing them in a secure bin on closer shelves. That won't cause any damage or will it...

Dave

i fold mine how we were taught to fold out uniforms in band... they were designed after military uniforms so i figure if it doesnt crease these it might not crease military uniforms. and it actually works

And how is that, Jake?

Dave, I don't see how that would damage them. Just make sure you don't stack them so deep that it puts lots of weight on the lowest ones.

-Brian

And how is that, Jake?

Dave, I don't see how that would damage them. Just make sure you don't stack them so deep that it puts lots of weight on the lowest ones.

-Brian

well you GENTLY pull the sleeves through into the inside then fold one side over than the other keeping the sleeves flat and then in half. we did this to keep stains off the outside of our uniforms and also to prevent creases. but again be VERY careful pulling the sleeves through

And how is that, Jake?

-Brian

Okay, gottcha.

Thanks

Dave

well you GENTLY pull the sleeves through into the inside then fold one side over than the other keeping the sleeves flat and then in half. we did this to keep stains off the outside of our uniforms and also to prevent creases. but again be VERY careful pulling the sleeves through

Thanks for this description, that makes perfect sense.

So sleeves inside, fold in half the long way, then fold in half again the other way?

-Brian

Thanks for this description, that makes perfect sense.

So sleeves inside, fold in half the long way, then fold in half again the other way?

-Brian

not in half, hold on...

this is how i fold my uniforms. sorry some are blurry...

so start with the uniform (i suggest removing pinback ribbons as they sometimes pop off)

post-125364-0-45032400-1426113118.jpg

i always unbutton the cuffs

post-125364-0-80018000-1426113119.jpg

then gently pull the sleeves through and flip the jacket inside out (let the collar unfold it will be fine)

post-125364-0-08217400-1426113121.jpg

fold in 3rds one side over the other

post-125364-0-33363300-1426113122.jpg

cross the sleeves

post-125364-0-65835800-1426113123.jpg

fold bottom to top and store with the collar on top...

post-125364-0-67293500-1426113124.jpg

keep in mind this is and Army uniform a marine dress blues uniform is going to feel weird when you do this and you should be VERY careful with it. we had marine style collars in band and used this method. but if done properly it will hold its shape when unfolded