Unknown Badge Worn By Korean War 7th Infantry Regiment Soldier

seanmc1114

The attached photo is Private Demensio Rivera who earned the Distinguished Service Cross while serving with the 7th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division during the Korean War. His DSC was one of those upgraded to the Medal Of Honor last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demensio_Rivera

His uniform insignia is curious to me. First, does anyone know what the badge is he is wearing on his pocket flap?

Second, even though his biography says he was born in 1933 and didn't join the Army until 1950, he appears to be wearing the ribbon of the American Campaign Medal which was last authorized in 1956.

post-1761-0-49534900-1426090225.jpg

Manchu Warrior

I might be mistaken but that looks like the cotton bales on the 7th regiments unit crest. So, is it possibly an unofficial small unit crest on crossed rifles?

• 2 weeks later...

What about the American Campaign Ribbon on someone who enlisted in 1950? Any thoughts?

Looks like some kind of goof Sean, the American Campaign ribbon was up till 2 March 1946. I was tempted to say that maybe he wanted the Army of Occupation ribbon and was in error?? But was he at any point on pure occupation duty?? His bio seems to say he was shipped out after training and I imagine a spot of leave sometime in early-ish 1951 and sent over to Korea, maybe with a brief stop in Japan, maybe he returned to duty in Japan after service in Korea?? Occupation there ends in March 1952.