Do I need to worry about these uniforms?

USdog

Hey everyone,

I recently was able to upgrade my collection room and moved everything into the basement. The room the items are in is surrounded in all cedar. Are my uniforms safe from bug infestations? Anything else I need to worry about? I looked at jackets that were in there the previous few years and didn't notice any problems.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

post-93633-0-50379700-1426021321.jpg

blitzkrieg gsd

I'd say if the last jackets you had in there was ok these should be fine to. Up to you how you handle them but I like to keep mine in garment bags if I can. They may be more for piece of mind to me then anything but I sleep ok and don't worry about them.

SergeantMajorGray

I'm terrified of moths eating my wool if I lived alone I would have moth balls in my collecting room.

Keep an eye on the moisture levels in a basement. Depending on your location. I run a dehumidifier seasonally in mine and can pull a couple gallons a day in the late summer early fall. Nice rack of uniforms by the way. And of course never let your guard down with the moths.

RustyCanteen

It never really hurts to do a 'spot check' every few months or so, just for the peace of mind. The three main insect threats I would be most concerned with, are (in no particular order): carpet beetles (the larvae is terribly bad); moths, and of course, silver fish. All three can really cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Usually, things are okay if you haven't had a problem before, but I would suggest giving them a looking over once in a while at the very least.

Better to catch things early than too late.

(PS - nice looking collection)

RC

I'm terrified of moths eating my wool if I lived alone I would have moth balls in my collecting room.

Hee hee...and you'd assuredly stay living alone too! LOL ;) ;)

Seriously...I like to occasionally check the uniforms for any signs of infestation, particularly in the pockets and in the tight areas, like armpits. I'm also a fan of dry cleaning anything that's doubtful as well (I know some people disagree with me, and there are some things I'd never dry clean, but I'm also allergic to the dust old wool attracts and if I were to store uniforms in "as found" condition, I'd never be able to get near them!!)

I visited a fellow collector once who had an eye-popping collection of foreign military leaders' uniforms. Many were fine "doeskin" wool, and that tends to attract all sorts of nasty critters. What he did was make copious use of lint rollers, a clothes brush, and vacuum cleaner. He'd brush any lint or dust off the uniform, then vacuum them, and then go over them with a lint roller. He had a large easy chair in his collecting room and made it a habit of this...almost daily.

Might be a bit extreme...but I'd guarantee his uniforms were well preserved!

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

to be honest i would have garment bags on each of those uni's. (i like to make my own, with moth ball and cedar chip pockets).those are some awesome uni's btw.

FIRST OFF GUYS--- THE 2 WORST PLACES FOR AND COLLECTION OR PE9ICES OF IT ARE--- ATTIC AND BASEMENT. REGUARDLESS OF HOW WELL YOU KEEP AND CHECK YOUR ITEMS ONE CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH. TIME DOES ITS NASTY WORK ALONG WITH THE LITTLE VISITORS THAT MAKE YOUR HOME THEIRS. NO MATTER HOW TIGHT YOU MAKE A ROOM THE SUCKERS FIND THEIR WAY IN. CLOTH, LEATHER AND PAPER ARE ALWAYS THE MAIN CONCERN. METAL ITEMS ARE ALMOST NON WORRYSOME. DRY CLEANING IS GOOD A SURE CURE FOR VERMIN BUT, IT REMOVES THE NATURAL OILS FROM THE WOOL AND IF YOU HAVE PATCHES AND RIBBON BARS WITH BRASS INSIGS A RISK OF COMING OFF OR PULLING AWAY A VERY POSSIBILITY. MANY JACKETS I HAD DRY CLEANED, OTHERS NO. FOR A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF US WE ENTERED INTO A HOBBY WHERE A CONSTANT AWARENESS IS ALWAYS IN MIND. YOU CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH AND SOMETIMES THAT ISNT GOOD ENOUGH. PLASTIC GARMENT BAGS ARE GOOD, I USE THEM. IF THERE IS A PROBLEM YOU MAY SEE IT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BAG BUT, IF THERE IS SO SORT OF MOISTURE IN THE ROOM OR AREA IT CAN BE CONTAINED IN THE BAG AND THAT IS A NO NO TO CLOTH. I HAVE ALL OF MY STUFF IN A SECOND FLOOR ROOM SHELVED, HANGING IN A CLOSET OR OFF RACKS, IN FOOT LOCKERS, IN SHOW CASES. I WORRY ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME BUT, YOU CAN DRIVE YOURSELF NUTS WORRYING ABOUT IT. ENJOY IT WHILE YOU ARE HERE--- SAVE YOUR SANITY. LOOK AT IT THIS WAY-------- IN THE PACIFIC THE JAPS USED THE SUISIDE PLANES TO SINK OUR FLEETS OFF SHORE. WITH ALL OF THE FIGHTER COVER WE PUT UP AND THE GREAT AMOUNT OF FIRE POWER FROM ALL THOSE SHIPS---- THEY STILL GOT THROUGH TO CAUSE DAMAGE. THE COLLECTION IS THE SAME.