Aircrew tunic

R.S.

I got this recently smells a bit and was covered in Cat or old woman hair , a few questions . The collar discs are missing , no signs of large holes so must be clutch back is there a specific WW2 type I should be looking for ? and should I dry clean it ? or just let it air , is it ok to replace the missing sergeant chevron . Oh and are there any decent color photos of this type of uniform in wear in England ? Thanks Rob

post-157534-0-49468700-1425945419.jpg

Nice jacket. For disks, go with the stamped brass type - US and winged prop. For getting the smell out, put the coat in a plastic trash bag, place a dozen fabric softener sheets in it and keep sealed for a couple of weeks. The smell will be gone.

It should be easy to find an exact match for that chevron. Were it me, I'd replace it.

Really like those wings!

Brian Keith

Great Coat! I second what Kurt said about the brass and the smell. Brush the fur/hair off and lightly steam iron the wrinkles (stay away from the insignia) it will look great.

As for the rank, this is possibly a British Made rank, I'm looking for a single SSGT for a very similar coat (8th AAF with blue Combat Crew background wings). The weave of the rank is slightly different than I've been able to find, even after two SOS visits! I hope you have the vets name, those with the blue background are uncommon.

Thanks for showing it.

BKW

Thankyou for the replies and advice , no owners history but there are various numbers . It was an ebay find , the photos were poor but my interest was peaked because of the blue wings I thought thats odd anyway $40 later and its mine . Thankyou Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...