WWI local medal images needed

JBFloyd

Those of you who collect city and local medals for World War I are familiar with the books published by Dick Planck and Lou Small. Spearheaded by Jim Berry, of Atlanta, an effort is underway to update their work and publish a more definitive work. Toward that end, we would like to mobilize the power of this forum and start accumulating images of medals that Jim has not seen. The object is to verify the existence of these medals and classify them by maker and design. I'm going to start listing the local medals we need images of in small batches (California and Connecticut are listed below). If you have any of these medals, or data relating to them, and are are willing to share an image, please post them to this thread or send them to me via PM. They don't have to be great photography, just clear enough to see detail. If a maker's mark is present, please add that to your post. If you just want to check if something is already known, just shoot me a PM, as I have Jim's master list of around 1900 local medals.

We appreciate that this will take some time and effort, but we will all benefit in the long run.

These are the California and Connecticut medals/tokens we need images of:

CA. Fresno City WWI
CA. Los Angeles Railway WWI (token)
CA. Pittsburg WWI
CA. Sacramento Druid Honor Medal WWI
CA. San Joaquin County WWI
CA. San Diego RC WWI
CT. Beacon Falls WWI
CT. East Greenwich WWI
CT. Griswald WWI
CT. Newtown WWI
CT. New Bedford WWI
CT. South Windsor WWI
CT. Willington WWI

More to come as we get rolling.

Thanks,

Jeff Floyd

Here's Minnesota and Kansas. Thanks for the help.

MN. Centerville WWI
MN. Minneapolis WWI
MN. Steele County WWI
MN. Webster County WWI

KS. Franklin County WWI

I have Jim's master list of known and classified medals. I'd be happy to run your lists against that one to see if you have an unlisted piece.

MilitaryWired

There are close to 1900 city, county and local service medals listed here: http://militarywired.com/library/en/City-County-and-Local-Service-Medals I am pretty sure Jim's list already includes most of these. I will work on adding more images in the future or if I have any that you or Jim are looking for I will post them here as they are requested. I cant wait to see his book when it is finished. He has an incredibly vast collection & knowledge of local WWI medals that will make this the best reference out there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fred Borgmann

Great! I will keep checking the lists as you post them and scan any that I have on the list. I also have a number of gold versions which may be unlisted like the CT WWI in gold. Fred

• 3 weeks later...
Fred Borgmann

Hi Jeff, Do you need a scan of Fresno County Cal? you list a Fresno City which could be a typo? Fred

Jeff, i had posted the Steele County MN medal on the OMSA site, do you need a different one or a white background?

Sorry, but I have never personally seen the Minneapolis, Webster Township, or Centerville medals, so I cannot help with those.

• 3 years later...
Kansas Raider

Here are the Missouri medals that I have.

1) Clay County Missouri

2) Chariton County Missouri

3) Daviess County Missouri-- lapel pin

4) Monroe County Missouri -- lapel pin

5) St. Joseph and Buchanan County Missouri

6) Webster County Missouri

Here is what I have for Kansas, combination of Planck's lists, collections I have purchased, and from other Kansas collectors. I put an X after medals I have physically seen or own.

Allen County X

Anderson County X

Arkansas City X

Aurora (city) - I have a Shawnee county medal where the Shawnee is removed and replaced with the city of Aurora. Maybe a one off? X

Caney (city) X

Clay County X

Cloud County X

Dodge City X

Douglas County (medal and button with picture of medal) X

Ellsworth County X

Franklin County - I don't know if this actually exists... maybe just confusion between the city of Ottawa medal, which is county seat of Franklin county?

Geary County X

Greenwood County X

Humbolt (city) X

Independence X

Jewell County X

Kirwin (city) X

Lincoln County X

Marshall County X

McPherson County - lots of variations in the center round part - Army, Navy, Red Cross, CMTC, and Aviation the I'm aware of X

Miami County X

Neosho County - welcome home button X

Ottawa (city) X

Parsons (city) 114th Ammunition train medal X

Pittsburg (city) X

Rooks County - button only X

Republic County X

Salina (city) X

Shawnee County X

Valley Falls (city) X

Washington County X

Wilson County X

There is a Holton or Horton (city) medal related to the Mason lodge - never seen it, but have talked to another collector who has one.

There is a Burdett medal, but I don't think it belongs to Burdett, Kansas (New York maybe)

Kansas Raider

My medal is engraved to Charles H. Browne , Major 70th infantry. He wrote the book " OUR PART IN THE GREAT WAR, What the Horton Community Did " printed 1919, Horton Kansas

Can someone post a Hill County, Montana a Cascade County, Montana and finally just a Montana WWI local medals for my reference. Front and back if all possible. Thanks in advance.

Kansas Raider

I know this is not a local medal, but it is unusual Missouri World War 1, United State Forces

medal that is engraved on the reverse to a SGT. Leo T. Stoltz of the 162 DEP BRIG. Missouri

medals were not issued engraved.

post-154231-0-32591500-1551322636.jpg

post-154231-0-87578900-1551322666.jpg

I only collect these from my home County - Allegany County NY. If you need one of these let me know. It's a tiny rural county so not too many around.

• 10 months later...