.45 Folding Stock Marine Corps Gazette Nov 1956

338thRCT

Was going through some old issues of the Marine Corps Gazette and came upon a short article on a folding metal stock for the .45 Automatic Pistol. The author stated that it might serve as an aide to those who were part of infantry crew-served weapons , as well as tracked and wheeled vehicle crews. He also claimed that it increased the accuracy of the weapon out to about 100 yards. I don't know if the idea caught on, but it looked very impressive. He mentioned the fact that the shoulder stock was nothing new citing the Broomhandle Mauser and also stating how many pistols, at some time, had been modified by the use of shoulder stocks.

post-70300-0-14548300-1425857568.jpg

American Heritage

that's a bad-a*$ rig! thanks for taking the time to share the pics. What year was the Marine Gazette dated??

Sorry for the repetition. I had put in a query in the search and didn't get any hits, but maybe didn't use the right words. Anyway, its from the Nov. 1956 issue.

that's a bad-a*$ rig! thanks for taking the time to share the pics. What year was the Marine Gazette dated??

Have another look at the title of the thread. That will answer your question.

Steve

I recently sold from my Vietnam collection a 1911A1 that was slotted for a shoulder stock. It had been rechambered for a 7.62X25 Tokarev round.

post-56764-0-52537800-1426184503.jpg

Patchcollector

I recently sold from my Vietnam collection a 1911A1 that was slotted for a shoulder stock. It had been rechambered for a 7.62X25 Tokarev round.

Interesting setup.Would this have been available for Special Forces use?

blitzkrieg gsd

That is pretty cool I have to say first time I have seen a military issue folding stock for the 1911. Couldn't have been very many of them made to begin with so they have to be super rare. Have you guys ever seen one for sale by chance? If one did come up for sale it would have to be super expensive.

Patch I'm also interested in knowing about who was issued the second one Bad is showing us above. Can understand why a US outfit would have one converted to fire the tokarev round. Unless it was a CIA type deal where they was trying to blend in behind enemy lines. It just don't make any since to do that for any other reason I can think of. Bad if you don't mind telling us what kind of price you sold that rig for.

Patchcollector

Patch I'm also interested in knowing about who was issued the second one Bad is showing us above. Can understand why a US outfit would have one converted to fire the tokarev round. Unless it was a CIA type deal where they was trying to blend in behind enemy lines. It just don't make any since to do that for any other reason I can think of. Bad if you don't mind telling us what kind of price you sold that rig for.

Exactly what I was thinking.I know that some of the Recon Teams would use weapons chambered for "enemy" rounds.I too would like to hear more about this weapon..

On the rechambered .45, I always felt more that it was most likely rechambered in country. The "holster" part of the stock looked to be a

replacement while the attachment portion was original. The slot modification to the pistol grip looked totally original to the pistol and of the period,

but it was hard to tell. I got no history with the piece at all but the rechambering was done in the style typically done by either the N Viets of N Koreans. The barrel was a Colt barrel.

post-56764-0-47311300-1426454730.jpg

I don't think this was SF but they are encountered as Viet Cong mods. Several years ago there was a "kit" sold as Lebanese Army overruns with that long barrel, a modified MSH and board stock. The one pictured seems to have been adapted to a Browning HP stock. The two issues (rechambered and shoulder stock) are unrelated and neither are US military.