“I.C.” US 1944 Boy Scout Canteen

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

I picked up this WW II era Boy Scout Canteen set at an antique mall the other day. I have a plenty of WW II canteens, but I tend to look at canteens I see in places like this for something unusual. In this case, I found it unusual, so I bought it.

It is a relativity common Vollrath made, 1944 dated US one quart canteen. But in this case, it is marked over the US, “I.C.”. The “I.C.” marking indicates the government inspector, Inspected the item, determined it failed to pass standards, and was Condemned. I noticed the solder seam is a bit rougher than most, so this may be the problem. Likely most IC items were recycled in some way, this was sold in some fashion for use by the Boy Scouts, note the Boy Scout Canteen Cover. I have seen plastic US canteens branded with the “I.C.” marking, but this is the first metal one.

Thanks for looking.

BKW

post-1549-0-82091600-1425856494.jpg

post-1549-0-27170600-1425856590.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stainless-steel canteen marked "G. P. & F. CO. 1944" that was overstamped I.C. as well. Curiously, there was nothing wrong with it. I even used it as my water bottle on a daily basis for roughly 6 months.

The "Condemned" part in "I.C." means it is ok to be taken out of service. There does not necessarily have to be anything wrong or damaged, just that the Army no longer feels it needs the item. It is surplus.