Looking for old ribbon documents (order of precedence)

ge999

I've been trying to locate some of the old medal order of precedence documents, specifically ones from the 1920's, 1932, a solid WWII piece, and a Korean war chart/document. I'm working on putting the finishing touches on some ribbon rack displays, and have been largely unsuccessful in finding period specific charts or documents. I am trying to re-create the ribbon racks as they would have been would have been worn at the time of the soldiers retirement, not using the current order of precedence. This has been problematic as we all know that various medals have gotten moved up or down in the order of precedence.

One that I've been working on for what seems like forever is a Daniel Daly ribbon set (see photo below) at first sight there is a glaring mistake with the Navy Cross and DSC being juxtaposed incorrectly; but as we all know it wasn't until 1942 that it was put to the same level as the DSC. So, when Daly retired the NC would have been lower than the DSC; as he died before WWII he would've never worn the NC above the DSC anyways (also the 3 campaign ribbons with the silver stars on them are placeholders until I get some replacement pieces, and haven't gotten around to putting the citation star/battle stars on the WWI VM yet either).

Several searches (both here and internet searches) haven't resulted in much useful information. I remember bits and pieces from various posts here over the years, but am yet to locate comprehensive pieces. One of the key items I'm looking for is the order of the USMC expeditionary medal relative to pre-WWI campaign ribbons in each of the aforementioned time periods. If anyone has the either pdf's of the really old document or a good high resolution photo of some of the old ribbon charts I would greatly appreciate a copy (quality scans of the WWII National Geographic medal issue would be greatly appreciated as well, haven't found a complete copy of that article yet). Then I can finally put the displays in the correct order for their time period and have to stop changing ribbons around every time I uncover a new piece of period specific info. Any help in getting these documents/photos would be greatly appreciated.

post-33458-0-92035500-1425757656.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Another thing, the Medal of Honor has no devices to denote multiple awards, it would simply be two ribbons side by side in Dan Daly's case. Recently, for a few years, the orders were that multiple awards would be shown as a Valor "V" device on the suspension ribbon of the medal but that was revised in 2014 so again multiple awards are in fact multiple medals.

I recall in an old post (that I sadly can't find) from the 1932 regulations that multiple moh's would be denoted by a gold star; prior to that wearing multiple ribbons was the norm. Thus the reason I'm trying to find the original regulations to verify the info from the old post.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I have never heard of that. There aren't many photos of SgtMaj Daly, but in the ones that do exist, he wears the two separate medals. There is one photo of him wearing ribbons but I am not sure if it prior to the two awards or after, and he is also at a sharp angle so I can't really make out what's what. I don't think a star was ever used but perhaps there's something I don't know!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

That being said, take for example, Smedley Butler. He served almost the same exact years as Daly and BOTH of his MoH were Marine Corps issued. He wears the ribbons side by side in every photo I have seen. I really don't think there was ever a star device, if there was I would have to see a photo of it.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

As for the NatGeo scans, try contacting Michael Rolf (RoadRunner). I believe he has high quality scans on his DropBox. (I'm at work now otherwise I'd send you the link, but I don't have it on me!)

I do not know about USN regs, but I would think that Army Officer Guides would tell you what you want -- of course you will need various publication dates.

G

Michael contacted me earlier with his dropbox info, had pretty much everything I've been looking for. Just now had time to look through them, from the 1937 USMC regulations:

post-33458-0-61048000-1425780132.jpg

post-33458-0-15827500-1425780286.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Also, I have never personally seen a MoH ribbon with all thirteen stars on it. The current ones have five in an 'M' formation and I've seen other ones where they were miscut resulting in a 'W'... Looking at photos here on the forum of Smedley Butler's uniform there appear to be 11 stars (?) that I can see. Anyone else getting a different count?

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add something here. The WWI victory medal ribbon on the ribbon bar in your illustration is a reproduction. The official Victory medal ribbon has two white threads, one on each of the ribbon. These white threads were placed there and have names "Peace and Calm".

These white threads are so much part of the ribbon you will notice the use of them on the WWII victory medal which used the design of two WWI ribbons, one on each end of the ribbon with a field blood red in the middle. This was to symbolize the two wars with Germany.

Looking at the WWI & WWII ribbon I posted you can plainly see the white threads.

Reproduction and very modern ribbons are made without white threads on the ends..

Regards, Jim

post-12923-0-28657300-1428176056.jpg