A "new - old" find WW2 messkit id'ed to 2nd Armored Lieutenant

CW4AFB

One of the benefits (and biggest drawbacks) to being a long time collector is that sometimes you acquire things and never get around to doing the research you planned.

While recently going through some of my WWI trench-art canteen and messkits to close out a deal with another forum member, I came across two WW2 messkits I had picked up long ago in my trench art collecting days.

One of them belonged to LT William Dutcher and had a crudely carved 2nd Armored Division symbol as well as some of his duty locations (Bragg, Benning, North Africa) and his service number. I tried to run down some more info but without much luck until I asked another guy for some help---within a very short time, he provided a shocking answer:

LT Dutcher's list of locations ended with North Africa because his life did also. He died on 18 April 1943 and is buried in the U.S. cemetery in Tunis.

Best I can figure is that the mess kit was among the effects sent home and eventually was given up by the family--and later made it to Richmond, Virginia where I found it. It's obviously a WWI reissue as was common in the early days of the war.

As you can see, it's hard to photograph shallow-carved canteens and messkits--but much easier to read when holding--

I even left the label the seller had placed on it many years ago when I got it but I never did the research back then--shame on me, as this is a very poignant reminder that not every story has a happy ending.

Al

post-2235-0-09071300-1425747218.jpg

post-2235-0-08863700-1425747234.jpg

Oh boy, that is beautiful. Your collection of trench art never ceases to amaze me, Al.

Rest in Peace, tanker

Dave

Dave, Thanks for the compliment but a good portion of the collection has migrated in your direction---now you have archival responsibility --- regards, Al

Oh boy, that is beautiful. Your collection of trench art never ceases to amaze me, Al.
Rest in Peace, tanker
Dave

Dave, Thanks for the compliment but a good portion of the collection has migrated in your direction---now you have archival responsibility --- regards, Al

Your welcome Al, and I am very greatful of what you have sold to me and it is my pleasure to honor them know.

Dave