We need more teachers like this!

mvmhm

I as well am a high school history teacher and historian. What an amazing story. As an educator, I strive, and after reading this story, with an increased vigor, to bring passion to my teaching and to pass that on to my students. I encourage them to serve their country and many have. During an era where teachers and public education are under attack, I loved reading this story and hearing about the passion and dedication of this wonderful woman. Remember, it was the public education the produced our "Greatest Generation" and won the second World War. Refreshing and inspirational!! Thanks for sharing.

Mark,

Saw your post:

post-8987-0-03177100-1425923676.jpg

Have a grouping in my collection that I thought you may be interested in seeing. 179th Inf. Reg. KIA 2/16/44 Anzio

Sry for the short line. Haven't been around much lately. When I get back into the swing of things I'll scan all pieces for you.

RJ

post-8987-0-78358400-1425923894.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Being a retired teacher I found this story wonderful and terribly sad. Losing "one of your kids" is a sad thing for any teacher, but to lose so MANY, in so short a time span...well, the only thing you can't see are her tears and I am sure there were many. What a wonderful inspiration she must have been to both her students and her community!

Catfishcraig

What a truly amazing American! I don't tear up often but reading this post brought out a couple.

May God rest her soul.

ohhistorian

I'm hoping that this post regarding Delilah Wikel will find the person(s) it needs to find in order to help me....

I couldn't help but read this. I know a little bit about this lady as I am doing a story on her for a project I am doing.

She did, in fact, do Breakfast in Hollywood in 1946. I know because I own the recording of that interview. As a matter of fact, from the research thus far it's deemed as a "lost show." I am looking to restore this recording to give it to the correct sources who should have it to preserve it.

It is an artifact that demonstrates the efforts of those at home to help bring a piece of home to those fighting overseas. As these efforts made the difference in so many G.I.'s lives.

I am looking for someone who knows how to restore radio electrical transcriptions as I am trying to save it before anything else happens to the actual recording.

I am also looking for those veterans who did receive one of her Christmas Cards as I am doing a journalistic piece about this.

Ironically, I contacted the local Dayton Historical Society and they appeared to be uninterested. So, I turned to this forum. Can anybody help?

Thanks so much,

Art Funni, M.Ed., M.A.

WJCU Radio