1800's US Army Officer's Chapeau Help Needed

I found this today at a local antique store. I believe it is 1870s-1880s but I am not sure. Has a Virginia state seal button and the officer's name is inside. Made by the Pettibone MFG. of Cincinatti. Any help is appreciated.

Brad

post-683-0-45558900-1425698535.jpg

These were worn by staff officers from 1872 to 1910. This one would have been worn by a staff officer in the Virginia Volunteers (later Virginia National Guard). Based on the interior, I'd guess this example is from the later part of the 1872 to 1910 date range. Researching that name would obviously nail down a more exact age.

Very nice find.

That style eagle is definitely later. I have a preWW1 model and the eagle is much smaller -- also the trim is different. Note the '03 rimless eagle button and the oval backing. See below.

I am wondering what the large eagle is on yours -- it appears to me to be about the same size as that worn on the visor cap -- perhaps in the 1920's. Can you measure it for us?

G

001-006.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have an absolutely identical eagle and it is too big for a visor hat - 3" tall x 2 3/4" wide, with an unusual double screw-post configuration on the back.

post-2647-0-51799000-1427565245.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...