IWO JIMA Bronze Star Group to NAVY SURGEON 5th Marine Divison

KASTAUFFER

Kurt - Outstanding! The Medical Bns are often overlooked in their contributions to the battle.......especially Iwo Jima. Congrats on acquiring it. This group could not be bettered....IMHO. Congrats! Bob

Kurt,

Very nice acquisition! I've always like the unit designed award documents. Over the years I've seen a few identical 5th Marine Division Bronze Star citations. Thanks for sharing the pictures of this group!

Mike

Raidercollector

Great group you got Kurt. How did I miss that one. To me its rare . Awesome photos and Documents.

Nick

Kurt, Just an amazing group. I have several Doctors and nurses groups and they are some of my favorites. You have the best of the best!

Dick

Thanks for all the comments on this group. I was just glad I could make a deal with the seller. When I first saw it the group was not for sale.

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

I just discovered this thread and this very interesting grouping ... it's a masterpiece, for sure.

Regards, E

Not to be redundant here but Kurt this is fantastic. My grandfather was operated on at Corps Evacuation Hospital I near Suribachi. I wonder if the 'plywood' hospital is Corps Evac. Hospital I. This is a fantastic find!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Semper Fi

Kevin

DocCollector1441

Not to be redundant here but Kurt this is fantastic. My grandfather was operated on at Corps Evacuation Hospital I near Suribachi. I wonder if the 'plywood' hospital is Corps Evac. Hospital I. This is a fantastic find!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Semper Fi

Kevin

I am glad your redundant because otherwise I would have never seen this post. That is an amazing grouping and the Captain is buried at the same cemetery as my Grandfather. Next time I am there I can try to get a photo of the headstone if you are interested.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I have a quick question. Are the two Japanese medals, Sacred treasure and rising sun awarded to him or ....? This is a great collection and thanks for boosting it back to the top.

4starchris

I have a quick question. Are the two Japanese medals, Sacred treasure and rising sun awarded to him or ....? This is a great collection and thanks for boosting it back to the top.

4starchris

Thanks Chris,

The Japanese medals are souvenirs he brought home.

Kurt

Great grouping from a man who probably saved many lives. I read Vedder's book about 20 years ago, and won't forget that. Surgeons on Iwo had a very tough task, but they had the worst place to perform their duty.

Great group Kurt, there was a great book I read years ago that gives you some insite on what these docs went thru, if you can get your hands on it, it's a great read:

Surgeon on Iwo: Up Front With the 27th Marines

Thanks for sharing Kurt