IWO JIMA Bronze Star Group to NAVY SURGEON 5th Marine Divison

KASTAUFFER

I acquired this at the Show of Shows last week from a dealer who bought it from the Nephew of the veteran.

It caught my attention as soon as I saw it, especially the Bronze Star certificate.

He was a Surgeon and the CO of the 5th Medical Bn , attached to the 5th Marine Division. The 5th Med Bn saved a lot of lives on IWO.

The documents and photos do a great job of telling his story. Iwo Jima was the only battle be participated in during the war, however the impact of being there stayed with him for the rest of his life. You can really see it in his face when you look at the photos of him taken on Iwo.

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

ViewfinderGyrene

Kurt, the way you post such amazing stuff, I'm going to need something to keep my heart rate in check :o:lol:

This photo is breathtaking. Look at the faces of the men and especially Dr. Larsen. You can also see Suribachi in the background. There are unit markings on some of the HBTs.

IMG_2719.JPG

This photo was taken inside his " Plywood Hospital" on Iwo.

IMG_2723.JPG

Dr. Larsen passed away in 1972 . Thank you for saving lives 70 years ago. The men you saved have not forgotten.

IMG_2725.JPG

Another fantastic group. Looks like you had a great SoS

Hi Brig

I had a fairly decent show. I came home with 3 groups and a few items to sell. The items I bought to sell are already gone, so that worked out. It seemed like attendance was not as high as in years past, but that might be due to the weather,

Kurt

Kurt Barickman

Wow, that is amazing group and love it! You are a lucky man to own this grouping.

Congrats,

Kurt

Just beautiful Kurt! I was really stoked when you bought it!!! I'm so glad it's in good hands now, and can be appreciated here on the forum.