Awesome 5th Marine Div Photo

Hessian

A few years back, I bought two footlockers of photos. Thanks to the snow I've finally been able to start going through them. There is a lot of more common photos that you'd expect but I have started finding some real gems. Including a album of original photos obviously taken on Iwo Jima.

This is one of the most notable photos I've found so far. It's a photo of 1st Platoon "B" Co. 5th Engineer Bn, 5th Marine Division FMF taken 1944 in Hawaii. The reverse has the names of all members and an "X" apparently denotes the owner was PFC G.W. Haight who muster rolls confirm was a Pioneer in the 5th Mar Div.

The really neat thing is there is 5th MarDiv UNIS marks on several of the helmets.

post-4618-0-11510100-1425668273.jpg

Close up.. Check out the guy in the front row kneeling and second row guy with the square UNIS marked helmets... According the back of the photo, the Marine standing in the second rank with the UNIS marked helmet is PFC Haight.

Photographic proof that this was done.

post-4618-0-46183000-1425668406.jpg

Too cool. I didn't know they marked the helmets. Love to get my hands on one of them covers!

Almost scary how eager they look. They probably had no idea what kind of hell they were walking in to.

Great photo. I would also look closely at these kind of group photos for Navajo code talkers. I found an indentified CT once in a 4th Div. squad photo.

ViewfinderGyrene

That is one amazing photograph, Duke, thanks for posting! By the size of it, you could make a whole thread just on these photos lol!

• 1 month later...