Help w/ 825th Bomb Squadron Patch... ?

gamsdivision1944

gamsdivision1944

This squadron patch came with the estate of an 825th BS veteran. however, I can't find any reference that shows this being a 484th Bomb Group patch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rick

825bs.JPG

doinworkinvans

I beleive this is 568th....the cat on the bomb with the cloud/water background is what is ringing a bell. However the trumpet is different. Could be an early version. But i do beleive this to be 568th BS.

Funny how it's often difficult to tell if a leather WW2 squadron patch is a fake or not. But with an original such as yours, it just jumps out at you as being totally legit.

Great patch.

gamsdivision1944

Thanks for the replies - I searched on the 568th and looks like a totally different patch. Is this what you were thinking of?

media-395096.jpg

doinworkinvans

Yes that is what my mind went to ....it does look different yes, but thats all I could come up with. There were so many variations and early/late versions of patches. Just trying to get it started. Hopefully there will be a possitive ID

Daniel

This squadron patch came with the estate of an 825th BS veteran. however, I can't find any reference that shows this being a 484th Bomb Group patch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick,

Looks what you have is a vintage early Disney designed patch of the 824th BombSqdn / 484th BombGp.

Nice catch.

Bob

P.S. Note the typo in the image text. There was no 824st BombGp.

825bs.JPG

post-6249-0-33121100-1425654996.jpg

gamsdivision1944

Hi Bob - BINGO! that's it. May I ask what the reference you posted is?

It is interesting that the BG website doesn't show this...but it is one of the less extensive ones.

Much appreciated!

Rick

Rick,

Another P.S.

Attached is the emblem displayed by the 824th BombSqdn later in the war.

The 824th never had an 'Approved' insignia during WWII which is the cause

of much confusion for many of us today.

Bob

Your Disney image can be found in a book entitled 'Disney Dons Dogtags'.

post-6249-0-46283500-1425656424.jpg

Follow-up;

I just double checked the 'Vulture' design that I posted and wanted to correct an error.

This particular patch belonged to the 826th BombSqd.

The 824th, 835th and 826th Bomb Squadrons used almost identical designs, the only

difference was in the 'bullet' count in the MG belt.

In the case of the image I posted you'll notice the count is 8-2-6.

Your squadron 'bullet' count would be 8-2-4.

Bob

doinworkinvans

Thanks Bob - glad your knowledge is around!

Glad to know we got an I.D.

Daniel

gamsdivision1944

Hi Bob - that is great info! many thanks for it! I also had no clue about the MG count representing the squadron number!!! Fantastic

Thanks again!

Rick

Glad I could help guys, and once again, that's a real nice piece of early WWII/AAF history you came up with Rick.

Bob

Rick, fresh from the estate is the next best thing other than straight from the veteran himself. Why not go straight to the guys that were there and ask them what period your patch is from? Give them the veteran's name and maybe they can help pin down the exact time period your patch was used.

http://www.15thaf.org/49th_BW/484th_BG/contact/contact.htm

Jeffro

gamsdivision1944

Hi Jeff - I tried but the contact person with the Bomb Group says he has never seen it or has any record of it :)

Thanks

Rick

Hi Jeff - I tried but the contact person with the Bomb Group says he has never seen it or has any record of it :)

Thanks

Rick

Some of the associations contact people aren't always the best ones for the job. I'd try and keep digging. Perhaps another crew member that served with the veteran is still around. Time is running out for these vets and the history they will take with them when they are gone. Their website has all the association newsletters available for browsing. You might try looking through them for any references to your patch. I checked the B24web and they actually don't show the patch for the 825th, but do list the others including the group patch. That leads me to believe they may be aware of another patch for the 825th. You may want to send them a photo so they can add it to their site. Jeffro

Johnny Signor

Wow , I have been looking for a photo of this unit in"real" patch form for some time now , this is a Great find you have and a Rare one to say the least , glad it went to someone of the forum who will appreciate it's true history and value , and much thanks for posting the photo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Johnny Signor

By the way , it looks to be an Italian" made type seeing as the design is cut slightly into the leather , they were usually done that way in that area .

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

What you have is what is generally referred to as a 'pre-deployment' emblem.

There are literally countless examples of such early war group/squadron designs that were replaced

once a unit went overseas, many of which were created by professionals such as Al Capp, Milt Caniff,

Schlesinger/Warner Bros and in the case of your patch, Disney Studios.

Once deployed, these early designs, when discarded, were often considered to be 'too cute', and were

replaced with designs of a more sinister (manly) nature, e.g. skull & crossbones, grim reapers, etc.

Establishing an exact timeline for the use of virtually any unapproved unit emblem (as in your example)

generally end up with a 'best guess' on the part of historical researchers, as the official USAF policy

excludes and and all group/squadron insignia that were not processed through the Heraldic Branch/O.Q.M.G

for approval review and acceptance.

Disney Dave (a member of this forum) may be able to help you with a 'creation' date for your patch design,

and if you can get your hands on a early post-war unit history, you may luck into a timeline for the 'Vulture'

image that replaced your squadrons original Disney design.

If all else fails you may even try contacting Disney Worldwide and see if you get lucky there, but don't hold

your breath on this one.

It's a tedious process but can prove rewarding when your hunt ends up with positive results.

Happy hunting,

Bob

Based on what Bob has stated above, my guess is that this dates from the first year of the unit's arrival in theatre. The patch looks like all the other Italian manufactured incised leather patches I have seen from the 15th AAF as Johnny has mentioned and if I'm not mistaken were usually produced in Corsica while on R&R. Jeffro