WWII USMC Canteen with Engraved cup & "713" painted on cover?

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

Picked this set up recently and hoping to ID the name on the cup to a USMC Connection. Also any ideas on the painted numbers on the front? It looks like just the numbers "713" and no tactical marking around them?

The canteen cup is dated 1941 and the name; "W. J. Harrison Jr." and "The Cyclone Kid" engraved on the bottom. I'm thinking the reference to The Cyclone Kid, mey be to a 1942 Western movie?

The seller was from Havertown PA., but no other history of where it originated from.

Thanks for any help or comments.

Troy

post-33000-0-19014200-1425612090.jpg post-33000-0-59455900-1425612101.jpg post-33000-0-10376600-1425612105.jpg post-33000-0-24222800-1425612113.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Very nice! Well, without the Tac. symbol that makes it more difficult unless you have an Ancestry.com account. In 4th MarDiv UNIS, 713 would be

B Company, 4th Engineer Battalion...

Should be a very interesting piece to research, good score!

I have seen other 4th Marine Div. items marked with just the numbers and no "half moon" as I call it tac mark around them - I was able to confirm the names on Ancestry so it is likely that is what this is, but Viewfinder is right no way to be 100% sure unless you can match the name to the unit through some research. Also, have to hope the canteen and cup weren't just picked up and tossed into the cover or vice versa. IF this can be confirmed I think it would be a nice piece to have as it represents something different than the typical 4th Mar. Div. UNIS mark. Good luck!

Thanks for posting - very best to all -

Bill K.

USMC-RECON0321

Great information guys, I will search that direction and see if I can make any connections.

Thanks for the help

Troy

Troy -

Correction on my "713" cover - Just looked at it - It has TWO markings on it - One marking is "713" WITHOUT the "half moon" around it similar to yours except smaller numbers. The second is stenciled over that marking and is larger with "713" surrounded by the "half moon" symbol.

Very best,

Bill K.