The Helicopter that should have been

Gary Cain

The one that was sitting in front of the museum at Rucker was pulled up a couple of weeks ago for some reason. I've no idea what they did with it, hopefully it's getting some TLC. The OH-6 they had out front was missing before they pulled up the Cheyenne, but it's back up on the pedestal with fresh paint...

The one that was sitting in front of the museum at Rucker was pulled up a couple of weeks ago for some reason. I've no idea what they did with it, hopefully it's getting some TLC. The OH-6 they had out front was missing before they pulled up the Cheyenne, but it's back up on the pedestal with fresh paint...

I think you might want to check the OH-6 again. It has been replaced with an OH-58 and the old OH-6 is back in storage (unless something ahs changed again since December). The AH-1G has also been replaced with a restored AH-1S. As for the Cheyenne, well we'll just have to wait and see. Here's a photo of the front of the Rucker museum from December showing the two new birds.

Ray

PICT0391.jpg

• 3 months later...
Jim McCauley
There are four AH-56As remaining. Two at Rucker, one at Campbell and one at Polk. The RAH-66 Comanches are both at Rucker now. The Cheyenne was an amazing aircraft, and I've been fortunate to see three of the four and actually get to sit in the two at Rucker (and one of the two Comanches!).

There was one at Fort Eustis in 1991. Maybe it moved to Rucker as there was only one there in 1988-89. Also, I recall seeing one in bad shape somewhere else. That may be the Fort Polk aircraft a few people mentioned.

Regards.

Jim

Cobrahistorian
There was one at Fort Eustis in 1991. Maybe it moved to Rucker as there was only one there in 1988-89. Also, I recall seeing one in bad shape somewhere else. That may be the Fort Polk aircraft a few people mentioned.

Regards.

Jim

I've heard of one at Eustis as well. Not sure if it is one of the Rucker birds, but it would be great if there was another survivor! The bird at Polk has been restored fairly recently, and is in great shape.

Jon

Cobrahistorian
Hadn't thought of that! We turned them in, so now maybe we can start taxiing backwards too! Freakiest thing I ever saw, sitting at BIAP waiting my turn at the FARP under goggles and the Apache just started rolling backwards. Scared the crap out of me, hadn't seen that before and he didn't announce, had that Spatial Disorientation thing going, I was jamming my pedals looking for the brake! Of course, then his buddy took off straight out, sliding sideways and hit the fire extinguisher, knocking it over.

Hey HD,

That wasn't the -64 that took off with the extinguisher caught between the pylons, was it?

Cobrahistorian
Unfortunately, no, that would have made an awsome safety photo.

Yeah, we got it in one of our safety briefs at Rucker.

willysmb44

At one point, the Army actually used a P-51 Mustang (serial # 44-72990) as a chase plane for the Cheyenne helicopter. This was the last American military use for a Mustang, in 1968 (although there is some question on if it was used into the early 70s). My understanding is that it’s in the Rucker collection somewhere, although I didn’t see it there the last time I was there.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Army/...552fe080938e50d

At one point, the Army actually used a P-51 Mustang (serial # 44-72990) as a chase plane for the Cheyenne helicopter. This was the last American military use for a Mustang, in 1968 (although there is some question on if it was used into the early 70s). My understanding is that it’s in the Rucker collection somewhere, although I didn’t see it there the last time I was there.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Army/...552fe080938e50d

You didn't see it because it is in storage at the moment. But she's still there.

Ray

Cobrahistorian
You didn't see it because it is in storage at the moment. But she's still there.

Ray

Yep, it is in storage out by Guthrie Field. Still looks SWEET too!