B 29 Test Pic

Carter

Correct, a F89, I have some other shots taken at the same location I will post tomorrow showing more B 29s and other aircraft awaiting their fate at the hands of the scrapper.

doinworkinvans

I want to go to an aircraft bone yard....is there any others besides Arizona? That might have some older craft and not just current copters and boeings...

Found this and the rest need to be resized but do not have time this morning.

Doin, used to be one at Aberdeen where several of the B 29s were recovered for museums but have no idea what might remain after 46 years have passed, probably nothing.

post-8459-0-35811400-1425652823.jpg

phantomfixer

not much at Aberdeen anymore....you can bing earth it....used to be a 29 along the highway at Aberdeen in the early 70's it is gone...

Bing shows a few fixed wing and rotorcraft on the western region of the post...can't tell what they are though...smaller types...

the boneyard in AZ is way cool...but for me the neatest thing at DM is the field logbook where pilots would sihn in at base ops...the books dates to when the field opened...has HH Arnold, Doolittle, Earhart, this list goes on and on...a who's who of early aviation the book is on display at base ops under glass a copied edition is avialable to thumb through...

anyway cool pics....

• 2 weeks later...

In 1969 complete B-29s were still being cut up, but within a decade or so guys were scouring the globe trying to find and save them. The CAF's Fifi was saved from China Lake only 2 years later!

I worked for Aerotech scrapping the same 29s pictured just 6 months after these shots were taken. After the R3350s were removed my job was to strip all accessories from the rear gear case and place them in shipping cans for transport to South America to be rebuilt which is also where the radials were going for use on some of the remaining prop driven transports flying the air routes of that continent.