Great-Grandfather's WWII USMC Uniform

Blueyank94

Just wanted to share this. My Great-Grandfather enlisted in the Marines on December 26, 1941. Story goes, he stood up at Christmas dinner and announced it to the family. Proudly served throughout the war in various units, but mostly saw the war in the 9th Defense Battalion and after being bounced around to different groups towards the end of the war, he was sent back to the states in '44 to train soldiers as a SGT. Afterwards he returned back to the war with the 5th Marine Division. He fought at several battles such as, Guadalcanal, New Guinea, Rendova, Solomons, Guam, and several others. He passed away in 1952 unfortunately, so I was unable to get to know him, but I was recently handed down his uniform. It fills me with great pride to be in possession of such, and I have taken the responsibility to rebuild and replace his ribbons and awards. I currently have his Jacket, Trousers, Garrison Cap, Belt for Coat, 2 full sets of Collar EGA's, and one big one for the Visor Cap which has gone missing over the years.

post-157832-0-51342100-1425523443.jpg

Chutesandskulls

It looks like he may have served occupation duty with the Fifth Marine Division. A very interesting uniform that will be something special to pass down to your children. Good luck on the restoration.

ViewfinderGyrene

Thanks so much for sharing this uniform with us! The Spearhead, so much history! I have no doubt those here with Ancestry.com accounts can help you even further. Good lucky :)

blitzkrieg gsd

The uniforms from my family and all th other items I have in my collection from family are my most prized pieces. So I know how you feel about this jacket. Once you get it resorted it will look great so make sure you show us the finished jacket.

4th Miss Cav

Congratulations, in sure it will always be the centerpiece of your collection. There is nothing better than to have items from the family

Thank you all for the outpour of support!! Means a lot! Many of you all are right, this is my MOST prized possession! I am currently in search of the ribbons to place on his uniform and hope to find some on here! I was also just recently handed down the flag that was presented at his funeral!

• 5 weeks later...

Nice and especially so since its a family group.

Looks like you have a large cap eagle on the collar of the uniform.

It may not be missing at all ;)