SOS - 2015 WWI Named 89th Division 177th Infantry, M1917 Helmet

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

My Great Grandfather was in this Div, so I was looking for a nice example and found this at the show.

Named (but not yet ID'd) 89th Division, 177th Infantry Brigade helmet.

I found the same name in three locations, written on the leather chinstrape, Inside the helmet near the dome. I'm 99% sure the name is "Harry W. Osborne".

The heat stamp is "ZC18" and its a US MFG helmet.

Thanks

Troy

post-33000-0-81281200-1425519194.jpg post-33000-0-53165800-1425519218.jpg

I'm still looking, but the best candidate is still Harry Osborn from Co. I, 355th Infantry Regiment. That was part of the 178th Infantry Brigade, but I've had enough 89th Division helmets where the soldier's unit according to the regimental histories doesn't match up with the helmet insignia that I'm suspicious that our understanding of the insignia might be seriously flawed.

RustyCanteen

I've had enough 89th Division helmets where the soldier's unit according to the regimental histories doesn't match up with the helmet insignia that I'm suspicious that our understanding of the insignia might be seriously flawed.

I'll second this too. I have also seen many which are 'wrong' as per our understanding of what is 'right'.

RC

USMC-RECON0321

I'm still looking, but the best candidate is still Harry Osborn from Co. I, 355th Infantry Regiment. That was part of the 178th Infantry Brigade, but I've had enough 89th Division helmets where the soldier's unit according to the regimental histories doesn't match up with the helmet insignia that I'm suspicious that our understanding of the insignia might be seriously flawed.

I'll second this too. I have also seen many which are 'wrong' as per our understanding of what is 'right'.

RC

Thanks guys, I found that "Osborne" also and was thinking the same thing.

Ian, Were you able to find a middle initial to him?

• 5 months later...

I think it's more to do with guys getting shuffled around within the Division.

I have a helmet ID'd to Alexander Selewoncuk who shows up in both the L Co. 353rd and in the HQ Co. of the 353rd. The helmet is painted for HQ Co. of the 89th Div but on the rim is marked 3 HQ 305. Whatever that may mean.

Very nice helmet for the OP.

USMC-RECON0321

So Troy,

Any luck tracking this veteran down?

John

John,

Sadly no. Farhaan just got back with me from a NARA search for him and they said I need to provide either a DOB or place of birth. So the research continues on him.

Thanks

Troy

• 6 years later...
89thdivcollector

hello, 

I found your boy: harry w osborne #3336725, HQ Co 354th inf 177th inf brigade, he arrived in September 1918 with the Co C 341st infantry and was poured around October 10, 1918 to the HQ Co of the 354th inf to compensate for the losses suffered in the ST mihiel salient.

if you want to sell this helmet, let me know

best regards

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
USMC-RECON0321
On 10/26/2021 at 8:00 AM, 89thdivcollector said:

hello, 

I found your boy: harry w osborne #3336725, HQ Co 354th inf 177th inf brigade, he arrived in September 1918 with the Co C 341st infantry and was poured around October 10, 1918 to the HQ Co of the 354th inf to compensate for the losses suffered in the ST mihiel salient.

if you want to sell this helmet, let me know

best regards

Anthony

Sorry for the late response, haven't been on here in a bit.   Thanks for the update.  Where did you find him (Unit roster or?)  Any other information?  I will add this to my research file on this helmet.    I'll think about selling it and let you know. 

Thanks again

Troy

89thdivcollector

hello,

i found him in Ancestry website.. and i have a 89th division database. i love this division because she liberated my town in september 1918. ;)

Anthony

• 4 months later...
USMC-RECON0321
1 hour ago, TsrorsT said:

Always nice to get lids with family ties, even if only by division. Fantastic looking helmet you have :)

Thank you.