Army Issued USMC Field Hats 1899 to 1917

world war I nerd

Kevin I think the purple stamp below is the contract stamp and the over stamp an inspectors stamp. I have the same contractor book but it's not complete. But I don't know much yet on Navy inspection markings.

Adding these two photos of Gen Butler's Boxer era hat from the Marine Corps Museum Acquistion Records. These look like they were taken after the hat's installation in the display case. Sadly, they don't show the venting or the interior, but from what I see here and Kevin's observations this is a hat built to the Army's 1889 specifications with the later addition of the 3rd row of stitching around the brim.

2008.14.1-2.JPG

2008.14.1-1.JPG

Thanks for adding Dirk. That is the hat I stared at and studied in low light last time I visited the museum a few years ago. I can say with certainty it has a snow flake pattern vent on the side. Kevin

• 1 month later...
Schnicklfritz
On 8/19/2019 at 11:39 AM, Fred Ganske said:

Does anyone know the purpose of the additional eyelets under the hat band on the 1912 USMC Campaign Hat?

post-155082-0-73730600-1566228818.jpg

post-155082-0-07269400-1566228857_thumb.jpg

Just found this thread a while ago and going through it. Great information on here about early USMC campaign hats!~ I have to dig out and look at my hats, but from memory looking at campaign hats, the shoe string style chinstraps pass through these two front grommets, around the outside front of the hat and then through the two grommets on either side of the hat. This allowed easy adjustment of the chinstrap as  the two loose ends to be tucked between the front of the hat and the sweatband.