My Collection- Tribute to Those Who Fought and WON WWII

Someone knew a Marine Killed in Action...

post-153444-0-10472700-1428368961.gif

***Items from unit called 8th Field Depot***

[Most frequently-sought unit because of family connection]

Intact ["out of the woodwork"] Marine Corps combat groups from WWII.

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Marine Corps valor recipient items.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next is one also where the owner is a bit of a mystery. The majority of the photos merely have "Fred" on the back. What's good about it is I know the unit down to the platoon!

Why I got this since the photos are mainly of Boot? In one of the photos, " Recruit Fred" is pictured with a buddy named "Jerry" Nettnin. Gerald Nettnin was killed on L-Day Guam, July 21st 1944. I have letters written by him to his parents, and several sympathy cards sent to them after his death. I thought the coincidence was incredibly rare...

post-153444-0-93193200-1428369199.gif

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

I think this is your guy. Will try filling in more info for you

John L Zugay

Muster Date: Jul 1943

Station: Hq Co, 2D Bn, 19Th Mar, 3Rd Mardiv, Fmf, In The Field

Check out my online collection of dog tags... http://historicdogtags.com LOOKING FOR DOG TAGS.... CIVIL WAR, WWI, WWII, KOREAN WAR, AND VIETNAM.PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING! I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IM INTERESTED.THANKS,USDOG

John L Zugay

Muster Date: Jan 1945

Station: Hq, 3D Pioneer Bn, 3D Marine Division, Fmf, C/O Fleet Post Office, San Francisco

John L Zugay

Muster Date: Apr 1942

Enlistment Date: 13 Apr 1942

Station: Sixth Recruit Battalion, Recruit Depot, Marine Barracks, Parris Island, South Carolina.

Check out my online collection of dog tags... http://historicdogtags.com LOOKING FOR DOG TAGS.... CIVIL WAR, WWI, WWII, KOREAN WAR, AND VIETNAM.PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING! I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IM INTERESTED.THANKS,USDOG

I think this is your guy. Will try filling in more info for you

John L Zugay

Muster Date: Jul 1943

Station: Hq Co, 2D Bn, 19Th Mar, 3Rd Mardiv, Fmf, In The Field

Thanks Connor, you're always excellent at digging! On the photo though, he scribbles out the middle initial "L" and wrote "I" on the front of the photo to correct it. So his name is supposedly John "I." Zugay...

Best photo in the album is this portrait of 3rd Platoon, Fox Company, 21st Marines on the Canal in 1/44...

post-153444-0-94622800-1428369545.gif

& this is why it's the best photo in the album ;)

post-153444-0-63613300-1428369583.gif

Here's part of the final album. USDog you'll like this one, it belonged to Cecil E. Smith, PFC, whose mess kit I posted earlier. His was clearly a very articulate man!

post-153444-0-20879800-1428369783.gif

Thanks Connor, you're always excellent at digging! On the photo though, he scribbles out the middle initial "L" and wrote "I" on the front of the photo to correct it. So his name is supposedly John "I." Zugay...

That is the only match for a WWII marine and am pretty much positive that's your guy. The address on the back also matched up with the name on ancestry.

Here's a loose photo from the album, one of his Blue Jacket friends he must have met while stationed at Pearl.

post-153444-0-17930900-1428369836.gif

Corpsman attached to 2nd MarDiv?

post-153444-0-49878900-1428369871.gif

That is the only match for a WWII marine and am pretty much positive that's your guy. The address on the back also matched up with the name on ancestry.

Cool, thanks! Wonder why he did that correction then...oh well, history is full if mysteries lol...

Wow that's a great photo album, there's so much to look at there, thanks for sharing.

Gladly! I've wanted to post it for quite a while, but had to get to it from the safe place of residence :lol:

Ironic note about PFC Smith's album. In it is pasted a ticket of some sort from the USS Henderson. She was a transport during WWI and her crew were the first to receive Order of the Golden Dragon certificates while en route to China. My uncle was on board before being part of the 4th Marines Garrison at Shanghai. She was converted to a Hospital Ship and renamed in 1943.

post-153444-0-40368500-1428421785.gif

Just got this in the mail today from another member. Beautiful Red Book with the first 5 pages signed by [seemingly all] members of Recruit Platoon #208 Parris Island. One signer even puts the exact date: April 12, 1942!!!!! Can't wait to start resarching these Marines, but sadly haven't found much on the public Internet...

post-153444-0-11488400-1428448048.gif

2nd Page

post-153444-0-75337300-1428448134.gif

3rd Page

post-153444-0-08340200-1428448185.gif

4th Page

post-153444-0-98734200-1428448268.gif

Final Page. Owner was the Marine who signed the platoon info on the top of 1st page...

post-153444-0-66337600-1428448383.gif

Have no other way to resaerch them other than Ancestry. Was surprised at how many out of one platoon were from a single state [primarily PA]...

• 2 weeks later...

Well all I finally got a free trial of Ancestry and first thing I did was go through all these names. SO MANY were aviation technicians both in the states and overseas. Many did serve in some of the early VMFs and VMSBs, even caught one who was in a Marine Night-Fighter Squadron. Very few were other MOS [tanks, infantry, etc], but there were a few.

The owner of the volume, Pvt. Walter E. Jackson, shows up at Montford Point, and then in the 52nd Defense Battalion in the Marshalls. That's confusing to me since segregation was still instituted in all branches at that time. Were the recruit platoons unsegregated?

Frist up, probably the most fascinating and meaningful to me, is Sgt. Arthur R. Dickison. He started out in B/1st AmphTracs from January to Fall of 1944. Between those dates he was with the Battalion on Kwajalein and Guam. Not shown on the musters, it can be assumed he was transferred in time for L-Day, and was now with "D" Company, 3rd Armored Amphibian bn. [Provisional]. He was at Peleliu and Okinawa.

What's so personal here? My dear friend Cpl. Merle Turner served in "D"/3rd Armored AmphTracs in both campaigns!

Next up is Herbert J. Hector Jr. He was in several Companies [mainly "E"] within 1st Raider Battalion. At some point he was Wounded In Action. Not sure when, but seems like it was in New Georgia somewhere. Starts showing up at a USNH around July 1943. After that he was stateside.

Don Daly was at Marine Barracks, USNOB Iceland early in the war, and shows up both in a Transitional Casualty Battalion [Marianas] and being assigned to 1/25 in April 1944, so I'm assuming he was at Iwo. At the time he shows up in 1/25, he was a temporary Lt.

Eugene Garman was a Platoon Sgt. in Regimental Weapons Company, 23rd Marines by January '45, so he was at Iwo.

Lynn Kirk was a clerk in the Londonderry Detachment.

Paul Howell was an interesting case. As early as October 1942, he was part of a unit I have never heard of, and the heading of the Roster was quite unique. It listed the Marines as members of "1st Separate Tank Company, 3rd Battalion, 22nd Marines, 8th Defense Battalion". That designation sticks until Spring of '43 when he switched to Company, 3rd Tank Battalion. Judging by how the campaign dates match up for the 3rd, he was wounded in the thick of Guam, probably having been on Bougainville for a while but missing Iwo.

Another unique one was Renzo Paschetto, he was G-2 for the Marine Detachment, 10th Army during most if not all of Okinawa.

Robert Stewart was H&S Battery, 2nd Battalion, 11th Marines Peleliu and Okinawa.

Thomas Kiddy was also with an Artillery unit, "F" Battery, 2nd Battalion, 13th Marines on Iwo.

Bill Sosbey was in the VAC Signal Company at Iwo.

That's all I found, there were only 2 names I couldn't read at all or couldn't find.

Enjoy!

VFG

Should anyone find any gaps I apologize, it was honestly my first time searching. One of the men listed above, at one point showed up "Whereabouts Unknown" on a roster [to me that sounds like briefly MIA after being wounded. Must have forgotten to screenshot it for records, can't remember who it was...

BTW: None of these who were wounded showed up as KIA as a result of wounds received, since even the NH entries continue postwar. Also I couldn't find any valor awards, but it could be that those were not recorded on the Roster "remarks"...

One question I have is that on nearly all of them, in the furthest column to the right, it says "See Footnote" followed by a letter in quotation marks. Is there a way to find these footnotes?

Yes. At one point in the rosters they have a part for "Footnotes". Often are back at end of the units muster rolls for that time. Just keep flipping the pages and you will find it eventually.

Thanks Connor, now I realize why it has continuous pages within one document lol. So they would possibly then contain extra anecdotes about the individual, correct?