My Collection- Tribute to Those Who Fought and WON WWII

ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene

Very fascinating Officers Only WIA docs from Iwo. All VAC units included. This one some Marine took teh care to annotate that Maj. Ellis had survived! I have 4 lists, each two pages, double-sided.

post-153444-0-98414600-1425442554.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

& the last of the original docs, one that I forgot earlier, a transfer endorsement signed by Justice Chambers!

post-153444-0-64151900-1425442639.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

His memoirs. The one on top is regarding Saipan. The middle one is a nearly 30 page letter typed by the Lt.Col. to the brother of one of his men in "E" Company killed on Saipan. He explains the events surrounding his death, but regrets that he can't tell him more. In these two alone, I was literally sweating while reading them. Eventually I will scan them, so incredibly vivid! The 3nd one on the right was written by his son.

post-153444-0-23207600-1425443283.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

The final page of his son's recollections. God bless you, sir, may you rest in peace. I thank you for what you did for me. You're with your boys now...

ViewfinderGyrene

The final page of his son's recollections. God bless you, sir, may you rest in peace. I thank you for what you did for me. You're with your boys now...

post-153444-0-94526700-1425443553.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

Here's a few close-ups of the Type 30 from the case. As mentioend before, he got it off of Saipan, and was later wounded on Iwo. I'm clsoe to getting the rest of his group, and when you all see the "rest", you'll have to do a double take to make sure you're still conscious, have your smelling salts ready ;)

Wonder so much if he got it after fending off the Last Banzai?! :blink:

post-153444-0-87717700-1425479820.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

One of my favorite recent pickups. He went all through the War [quite literally] from Gavutu to Okinawa with K/3/2, and published his memoirs online:

http://members.peak.org/~skinncr/oneman/onemansview.html

Got the Boot Camp portrait and portrait from one seller, and was quite surprised to find the small snapshot that the portrait was made from, from a completely different seller! He certainly has some amazing experiences detailed in the book!

post-153444-0-55982500-1425480581.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

Here's a group from a few months ago that has ties to TWO amazing Marines. Most of the group belonged to Sgt. Anthony [went by "Jerry"] Giamanco. He fought in the Marshalls and was WIA while serving with B/1/24, went back to the States for treatment, and then redeployed with 2/5 as a Battalion Runner/Messenger on Okinawa. The map case stil has his annotated and field marked maps used on Okinawa, and the case itself is double named to Giamanco and the 2nd Marine, Lt. Horace Bradshaw. I'll fill you in on the general aspects of Bradshaw's combat in a later post.

post-153444-0-70501000-1425481253.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

This map case is probably the best piece of gear I've ever seen. What attracted me to the auction was the field camo-ing, and then I figured out it was a group!

post-153444-0-00740400-1425481401.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

Names on the back. I increased the contrast slightly to bring out Giamanco's name.

From 11/43, Lt. Bradshaw was with VMSB-243 at Munda. Flew combat over Bougainville, Rabaul, and the Consolidataion, then returned to the States in 10/44. Through the first portio nof his combat he was flying and SBD-5 Dauntless. He the was transferred t0 VMSB-244 "The Bombing Banshees", re-equiped with an SB2C-4 Helldiver, and stationed at Samar. Having arrived in June, fro mJuly through August he flew strikes on the Philippines. For these actions he was awarded a DFC. He returned to the States in 12/45, was promoted to Major, and was in the reserves for several years postwar. I obtained this information from his son.

The way I see it, Giamanco used the case through Okinawa, went to Occupation Duty and no longer needed it, it cycled back through the QMs and found it's way to Bradshaw for the final months of the war.

post-153444-0-02906900-1425481986.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

Close-up of field markings in and around the landing zone for 2/5. If anyone knows what his markings mean other than the general symbols found in the Key, I'd be interested to know.

post-153444-0-63008300-1425482181.gif