My Collection- Tribute to Those Who Fought and WON WWII

ViewfinderGyrene

Hey Dean, great to see all your 'new items' here! Got to say the Mae West is awesome! Glad you now have a tunic that fits!! Cheers, Graham

ViewfinderGyrene

Star device on American defense was not for Pear Harbor but for clasp on ADM, like "Base" , "Fleet" etc. For service on Iceland members of 6th Marines were awarded American defense medal with base clasp. I have uniform of Marine who was with K/3/6 on Iceland and wore American defense ribbon with bronze star and was awarded American def. medal with base clasp

I forgot the criteria for their specific regiment lol...

ViewfinderGyrene

Hey Dean, great to see all your 'new items' here! Got to say the Mae West is awesome! Glad you now have a tunic that fits!! Cheers, Graham

Thanks as always, Graham! Yes I'm quite humbld to have both the vest and that incredible Alpha Blouse. Now I can wear a uniform with a story behind it that only history could produce B) 17 y/o kid becomes Jeep driver for one of the most famous Generals in Corps history...I don't think it has fully sunk in even now!

ViewfinderGyrene

I commend you for continuing the legacy of our WW2 Marines. Outstanding job. Keep it up, Dean.

Semper Fi..........

Always glad when a Gyrene approves of my presentation, Mr. Carroll.

I'll be listing a piece of 782 gear soon that [for me] even beats out the Cavo Alphas...

Found a "first run" Boyt haversack ID'd to a member of the 8th Field Depot's MP Company. 100% been there, roughed out and worn. The 8th did take quite a few POWs during the battle, no doubt this fellow was guarding them at some time!

VFG

• 1 month later...
ViewfinderGyrene

Today, on Gold Star Mothers Day, I remember one in particular.

I have not posted anything from this Marine yet, because my scanner has yet to be hooked up.

The first personal letter I was ever able to purchase related to a Marine, was a letter written to Cpl. Raynor Michelsen. Michelsen was with Ordnance Section, Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines. He made it through the Marshalls, Saipan, and Tinian. After all that fighting, he was killed D+4, February 23rd, 1945, on Iwo Jima. The day the flag was raised. All of his letters were written to his mother. She wrote him, adjusting the time so that the letter is dated the morning of his death. She was his only child according to her obituary, as I am to my mother.

Emily P. Michelsen passed away in December of 1998 at age 95.

It is both your anguish, Mrs. Michelsen, and your son's sacrifice we remember today. God bless you both.

VFG

• 5 months later...
ViewfinderGyrene

Captured 71 years ago today by a Montford Point member of 8th Field Depot in the wake of the Silent Banzai. Currently my only significant bringback. Semper Fi , thought it would be a good way to remember the long-awaited end of that terrible but necessary fight. Blessed Easter to all!

post-153444-0-60242900-1459007686.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

And this is what it currently looks like. It was stretch far too tight in the frame, AND the edges were stretched around and glued to the back of a backing like a painting canvas stretched over a frame. The frame shop that did it [tag on the back] had no idea that glue would not be a good mix with 65-70y/o silk [no further comment on that]. It would have surely split down the middle, so I made the difficult decision to remove it from the backing, a thin portion of the backing was left adhered to the flag where I could not remove it without ripping it. Alas, better than two halves! Regardless of the material value, it is truly the most prized item in my entire collection, a physical reminder of the role a relative's leadership played in the epic that was Iwo Jima. Thanks so much to a Forum member for selling it to me!

post-153444-0-42999100-1459007805.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

Oxygen mask is awesome. Nice collection.

Thanks, yes, I was quite surprised that it still felt like rubber, not petrified like most!