WW1 captured Machine Gun, spike helmets....

scottiques

This is an AZO postcard that dates from right after WW1.

The AEF troopers have gathered on the deck of their returning ship to show off some souvenirs.

The spike helmet was probably one of the most popular war souvenirs of WW1 service. It is hard to believe the one guy was allowed to bring back a machine gun!

I really like the "hate belt" as I am a collector of trench art.

post-124583-0-47018600-1425428841.jpg post-124583-0-60726000-1425428873.jpg

post-124583-0-05638000-1425428849.jpg post-124583-0-66913100-1425428865.jpg

post-124583-0-71014000-1425428856.jpg

Thanks Paul.

Do you have a link to the ebay one? I'd like to get an idea on what these bring.

Scott

"The spike helmet was probably one of the most popular war souvenirs of WW1 service. It is hard to believe the one guy was allowed to bring back a machine gun!"

You'll have to remember that it was perfectly legal to own a machine gun at this time (you could even order a Thompson submachine gun in the 20's through Sears mail order). Nice Spike Helmets too. The middle light colored one is an ersatz felt Prussian and I see one what looks like a Bavarian plate on it.

Keith

There were alot of those machine guns that came back unfortunately they didn't all end up registered. My Dad bought a roll of canvas from a yard sale years ago. He got it home and there was 08' Maxim rolled up in it. It had to be really cut up to be sold legally. Great picture by the way !!

Regards, Mitch

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Neat shot. It is my understanding that by the time the US entered the war, the spiked helmets had pretty much ceased to be used by the Germans and were likely acquired by US troops from vendors and trades and such. I have a shot of a Marine wearing one during the fall of 1918

Neat shot. It is my understanding that by the time the US entered the war, the spiked helmets had pretty much ceased to be used by the Germans and were likely acquired by US troops from vendors and trades and such. I have a shot of a Marine wearing one during the fall of 1918

Yeah, by 1916 the Germans had figured out that steel deflects artillery shrapnel a little better than leather does. However, the Pickelhauben were the most recognizable icons of the German army, and were thus among the most treasured souvenirs by the Allied troops. That's why you still see Germans in posters and cartoons wearing them instead of the Stahlhelm even late in the war. I know there were cases of officers (can't remember if they were British of American) handing out liberty passes to any enlisted man that would bring them a Pickelhaube.

Also, that's a fantastic photo.

08/15 is missing the buttstock and the muzzle booster. Interesting. Damn near every 08/15 seems to be missing the booster, for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, all, this is my first post to this forum. I just joined, but have been collecting since I was a kid. (More on that later!)

The WWI '08 Maxim reminds me of a close call I had about fifteen years ago. A friend turned up a sled mount still in full camouflage and with a U.S. Address painted on the web. It was evidently just sent home from France like that, and got stuck out in the barn ever since.

This picker friend asked about the gun, and was told that they got scared when they found out about the trouble they could get into with an unregistered class III gun, so they just threw the gun into the lake. It's a very big lake and a long time ago, so don't anyone get your hopes up, but at least they wound up selling the sled mount, which I wound up with a short time later. Sadly, it took up too much room, so I had to let it go as well...