patrick_usmc

Hello,

I've heard people say that the M1899 US Army hat also found its way to use by the Marines during the Philippine Insurrection. Is there any truth to this? If possible, any photos of US Marines wearing it would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Patrick

There is a good thread on this site that describes the variations of campaign hats used during Span Am and Philippines. The book Equipping the Corps also has an excellent overview and if you don't have this book, it needs to be the next thing on your list to buy. A lot of period photos as well. In a nutshell, the Marines of Huntington's Battalion were issued a campaign hat very early on in Cuba. It is vague which hat this was, I personally think it was the snowflake pattern. The ega was worn on the side of the hat. There is a good photo of Marines wearing it like this in China in 1900. Shortly after that, Marines were wearing and issued the star vent with the ega moved to the front. Both of these hats were army issue as well, not Marine specific.Kevin

patrick_usmc

Alright, thanks. I have Equipping the Corps, but I was also wondering about the kind with the ventilation hole, not snowflake (although I did not know they used those, so thanks for that). I have one photo of one in officer use I found here a while ago. Any word (or photos) on these? Thanks for all of the information!

-Patrick

I actually have a photo of Marine I believe in the Philippines and the central figure has one with the screen vent in his hands. I thought this was proof positive that Marines used them, but upon closer inspection, it appears he is wearing an Army uniform. Looks like an army officer in the middle of a group of Marines. I don't know of this style hat being used, but would be interested myself if there are any photos out there depicting it. I suspect they were not in use by the Marines unless privately purchased by an officer, and I would think that would be a very rare occurrence if at all.

Here is my period photo. The central figure is holding a screen vent campaign hat, but look closely at his uniform. It is definitely different than the rest with the three scallop pockets and I assume army. The hat cord is impossible to differentiate between army black and gold and Marine red and gold. Unfortunately the front of his hat doesn't show so cant tell if ega there. Sorry, I don't have a good scanner so it is a pic of a pic.

post-21606-0-02054100-1425431817.jpg

post-21606-0-77335900-1425431818.jpg

patrick_usmc

My apologies teufelhunde...once again, if I had known, I would have asked permission. After some searching, I found the thread where I also heard that they were used by Marines in the PI. I'm also curious to know if there might have been any enlisted use? If anybody knows, feel free to chime in. Also feel free to post any pictures you have! Thanks!

Edit: Posted while I typed this...nice photo!

The thread...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/158892-american-imperial-wars-philippines-haiti-cuba-domincan-rep/page-3?hl=%20philippine%20%20insurrection