Ammunition Crate Markings

ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene

Greetings,

I am green in this area, but I had a question relating to Ammo Crates from WWII.

Obviously, they are often dated, so knowing the period of production isn't a problem, but I wondered about one other thing:

Is there a way to know, based on lot numbers or other markings, what branch a crate of ammunition was issued to?

Was interested to know if you could trace a lot number of ammo to a Marine Corps unit? I. E. know if it was crated and sent to be used in combat, or kept stateside...

Obviously UNIS immediately comes to mind, but I don't think I have ever seen an ammo crate with UNIS. Has anyone?

Thank you for your time,

VFG

I have to say. A pretty good way to find out if a crate was surplus or used overseas is where you find it. 99% of the time if a crate was used overseas they would just leave it there.

-Dave

ViewfinderGyrene

Well, then I'd have to go to the Solomons, Marshals, Gilberts, or Marianas, and I'm guessing those are all rotted :(

Some GI's mailed home souvenirs in used ammo boxes. I recently picked up a German stick grenade box that a Sgt used for just such purpose. Too bad it was empty.

Theoretically it is possible, practically it isn't. Lot numbers are used to identify ammunition with the same manufacturing techniques and components. When a component is changed, so is the lot number. Lot numbers are used when ammo is transferred from place to place and then to a unit. This is done so that if there is an accident,theft, etc. they can identify the source. They can then restrict further issue of the ammo in the case of an accident until they sort out the problem. IF, and that is a big if, all of the paperwork was present you could trace a lot from production to expenditure. The problem though, especially with older ammo, is that there is no central repository for the data and/or since the ammo was all expended or destroyed, the audit trail was also destroyed. I have traced some lots through Rock Island Arsenal over the years and most end up with a dead end trail. Especially true in combat areas where ammo was issued in hast, sometimes without all information being recorded.

ViewfinderGyrene

Thanks very much for the explain, eodguy. At least now I know the procedure that at times took place. Just a bit of a far-fetched deram I ahd of finding a crate that had been tactically marked or somehow brought back as as souvenir. Thanks again!

Ok, here is an ammo crate that I like to think was used to shoot at Japanese planes.... someday I'll have to check some head stamps of Denver lots to see if the lot number could date back to 1941. I have all the brass nuts even though they are not all depicted in the photos. As you can see on the back side it is stamped SO (Supply Officer?) NAD (naval air detachment) OAHU TH and on the top... cannot make out the first word .. ship to insp (inspector) of ord. (ordnance) in chg (charge). Naval Amm (ammunition) Depot Oahu T H ...

post-2641-0-14166300-1425490320.jpg

post-2641-0-80150900-1425490360.jpg

post-2641-0-22732200-1425490371.jpg