The road to hell

dee222

The road to hell is paved with good intentions , well it sure is in my case , a friend of my wife's son has started to collect militaria he's 15 and I was asked if I could

help him out by my wife so I gave him a couple of BDU's a jungle jacket and a small ERDL shirt but as soon as he got them he put them on ebay when I saw this

I wasn't a happy bunny . Now the wife is back wanting me to give him some of my WWII uniforms to him, yes I did tell her he sold the kit on ebay all she seid was

it wasn't what he wanted , I told her no more as I wasn't financing his trips out with his girlfriend now I am in the dog house with the wife and she's going on about

him being only a boy and you wouldn't miss one , the road to hell?

Good luck with this one. You could ask specifically what he wants that he will not sell and then go from there. I would be a little cheesed as well. Good luck getting out of the dog house with the Mrs.

Bob

ViewfinderGyrene

I've met little idiots [and big ones] like him over here, and as soon as I catch on I cut any association. Clearly he's not a serious collector. Of course I'm not in your position, but I wouldn't encourage anything...coming from a guy who's 18!

There are young collectors and then there are those who wear camo in the grocery store and play Airsoft w/WWII-era gear :dry::rolleyes:

Dog house or not I would end my donations as well. To support a young collector and help get them started is one thing but to support his E BAY listing is a whole other thing. Maybe meet half way buy offering to provide some education, question and answer type arrangement. Pass on your knowledge but no more physical items at least until and if YOU feel it is right.

Maybe she just wants you to thin YOUR collection

He's 15, he shouldn't be selling on eBay anyway, it's illegal as he can't legally enter a contract until 18, which is why the forum doesn't allow members under 18 to sell.

I wouldn't give him anything else, either, he took advantage of your generosity. As mentioned, serving as a mentor is a way to help, but he burned his first bridge almost immediately. This kid isn't even family, he's essentially a stranger

Just my 2 cents, I'm less understanding than most

ViewfinderGyrene

Maybe she just wants you to thin YOUR collection

He's 15, he shouldn't be selling on eBay anyway, it's illegal as he can't legally enter a contract until 18, which is why the forum doesn't allow members under 18 to sell.

I wouldn't give him anything else, either, he took advantage of your generosity. As mentioned, serving as a mentor is a way to help, but he burned his first bridge almost immediately. This kid isn't even family, he's essentially a stranger

Just my 2 cents, I'm less understanding than most

And here I thought I would seem the only individual in this discussion who would feel that way ;) Good company, sir.

Away with him, the brat! :lol: Happy to disown my own generation...

Not a good situation.Hope your wife doesnt give him an item when your not around.If the person didnt want it he should have offered it back or asked if you would mind him selling it to fund some other item he wanted more (giving him the benifit of doubt here).

Age isnt really a factor here but conduct and integrity are.People often will give another a pass because of age.I have collected/been intrested in all things military since I can recall even at 5 years old.My dad later on took me to a few auctions and flea markets.I was taught to always ask to see or handle something, be respectful, ask questions, say thank you...all of the basics.Its not always age...its how you are raised.

Over the years I have been given or gifted items I can count on one hand.I have never sold them even if it was just a common patch, rank insignia, unit DI, etc.If I do part with it I would give it to another and not sell it.Often when Im doing a show to part with extra items I have a box of free items ranging from common patches, belts and gear that is not of intrest to collectors because of condition or its commercial copies.I will see younger kids like under 10 years old with their parents often in a hurry and telling them they dont have time to stop or money for something.I will ask the parents if the kid is intrested in military and then offer for them to pick out an item they like or give them a old overseas cap with a few moth bites or a patch out of the dollar box.Typically this is at a outdoor show I attend once a year.The smiles and excitement seen are priceless and often you see the same kid later in the day still wearing the hat or old belt like a bandoleer.One year a table mate and I outfitted a couple brothers that were 12-13 with a couple old jungle jackets and pouches we had off of a $2 tarp on the ground.They were set up with there dad who sold modern surplus.He came over and offered to pay but we declined.You could tell the first brother was really more into it as he would wonder over and ask a lot of questions, tell about books and videos he had etc.When we left for the weekend he and his brother came over and shook hands and said thankyou for the items and the great time they had digging through our junk.I also gave them both a copy of the M16 comic book thats a TM for cleaning and care of the weapon.You would have thought I gave them a $100 bill

All I can suggest is go with the little voice you hear and listen to it.If he made a mu stake fine but if its a pattern you will know it.

On a more serious diplomatic note:

Tell your wife that your collection is an investment in your sons future, something that will

only increase in value over time, and that both of them will eventually thank you for.

Pulled this one out of my own CMOA File sometime back and it did reduce a lot of flak that

I used to receive on my collecting.

Just show her what an item you purchased say ten years ago is selling for today. Even a wife

should have trouble arguing the potential profit potential, and militaria sure beats the hell out

of investing in hog bellies.

On a more serious diplomatic note:

Tell your wife that your collection is an investment in your sons future, something that will

only increase in value over time, and that both of them will eventually thank you for.

Pulled this one out of my own CMOA File sometime back and it did reduce a lot of flak that

I used to receive on my collecting.

Just show her what an item you purchased say ten years ago is selling for today. Even a wife

should have trouble arguing the potential profit potential, and militaria sure beats the hell out

of investing in hog bellies.

Better yet...next time you see the neighbor girl or girl scouts selling cookies give them a pair of the wife's earnings or a necklace...

your just really helping them with their jewelry collection. :D

Wharfmaster

Better yet...next time you see the neighbor girl or girl scouts selling cookies give them a pair of the wife's earnings or a necklace...

your just really helping them with their jewelry collection. :D

:o:D

ViewfinderGyrene

Prepper...something I put on a chilli cheese dog and fries.Works well with salter.

My kind of humor Doyler ;)

Tell this punk you want 50% of the profits or else you'll break his legs, then start selling your wifes stuff on Ebay or everything she or her family has given you.. that'll put a end to that and a lot more. HA HA HA HA HA HA ok bad idea.

Tell this punk you want 50% of the profits or else you'll break his legs, then start selling your wifes stuff on Ebay or everything she or her family has given you.. that'll put a end to that and a lot more. HA HA HA HA HA HA ok bad idea.

For the first sentence or two I thought you must be drunk, I was ready to do damage control! :o;)

Having been in this spot before, you're in a no-win situation. You helped him once and that's your good deed for the day. Your collection is a collection, not a charity.

Mark sends

For the first sentence or two I thought you must be drunk, I was ready to do damage control! :o;)

Sorry didn't mean to scare you! :)