Jennings Lane

Show of Shows 2015 Random thoughts.

So I guess we will now see dozens of US collectors at European shows...

Would give us a 35% profit without even asking more than we paid for if you all wanted to buy it back.... :P

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Furthermore in this digital era it isn't really necessary to be physically present at the show..

I've never even been to Louisville, yet have bought dozens of items at the SoS...

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I showed up with a pickup load and left with only two plastic tubs full plus what I bought, of course. Price is still king. I was very very pleased with the show but I noticed a shortage of vendors with stacks of "stuff" at discounts this year. You know...cleaning out my collection type deal.

I usually walk right past any dealer who is too lazy to price an item. Year after year I see the same stuff from the same dealers and there are many I don't even stop to look. Too many other good dealers to see at this show to waste time trying to get the vendors attention. Geez, I'm getting old and grouchy!

Can't wait until next year! Should be interesting in a new area and being 2 weeks earlier with the crazy weather.

It was nice to meet some forum guys, too.

Oh, I've got to know the guy who had the "Chesty" hat and the other high profile uniforms and he appears to be a good guy. I think he bought these items many years ago from a collector who was highly respected and was in a position to acquire them at the time. Can't remember the story but I CAN say these were never made up by him. Before him may be suspect. He just keeps bringing out great items, though.

I can only really report in the General Officer arena, but there were a LOT of fakes at the show purporting to real. On the other hand, I scooped up several really good ones with good chains of provenance to the owner.

On fake GO uniforms purporting to be real, I can only relate my own experience from the 1990's. I was in the Ft. Myer Thrift Shop when Mrs. Powell brought her husband's Army Green uniforms in to donate, They only had the Ranger tab and AMERICAL SSI on them, yet the times I saw them later they had complete insignia and ribbons affixed and which were touted as being all original to the uniforms. Were any GEN Powell uniforms at the show for sale or on display?

On fake GO uniforms purporting to be real, I can only relate my own experience from the 1990's. I was in the Ft. Myer Thrift Shop when Mrs. Powell brought her husband's Army Green uniforms in to donate, They only had the Ranger tab and AMERICAL SSI on them, yet the times I saw them later they had complete insignia and ribbons affixed and which were touted as being all original to the uniforms. Were any GEN Powell uniforms at the show for sale or on display?

Owning one of them and knowing three others who have, I have a pretty good sense of what happened. Once they sold (I think there were 3-5) they had just what you mentioned, but a certain collector was able to acquire some insignia (i.e. ribbons, stars, etc.) from the family and replaced others.

Will Twomey

In Honor of:

USA General John Wickham (1928-)

USAF Colonel Bernie Fisher MOH (1927-2014)

USMC Sergeant Al De Vito (Chosin Reservoir Survivor) (1926-)

USA Cpl. Macedonio Leyba (Bataan Death March survivor) (1917-2007)

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Owning one of them and knowing three others who have, I have a pretty good sense of what happened. Once they sold (I think there were 3-5) they had just what you mentioned, but a certain collector was able to acquire some insignia (i.e. ribbons, stars, etc.) from the family and replaced others.

Perhaps, but my cynical nature always makes me a bit suspicious when a stripped uniform suddenly gets all of its stuff and the stuff came from the "family." I suppose it depends on the collector's (or dealer's) reputation and the buyer's trust level.

I didn't really notice a lot of bad US stuff this year but again I wasn't looking for bad items. Sure they were there but that's all ways the case at any show. I was more surprised at the lack of upper class uniforms myself. Seems like this year most of th good uniforms got left at home. Sure there where some there and most of them sold pretty quick. The ones I saw on Thursday were not there on Friday when the general public was let into the show. Wish there would have been more there so everyone would have had a chance to bring one home. On Saturday I was planning on buying a good uniform if I could find one since I sold a couple. It was no dice for me.

As always I had a great time, sold quite a bit and bought more than CINC-House would have wanted but it is only once a year that I see so much quality militaria in one room. As Robert said it is the SUPER BOWL & LAND OF OZ for militaria collectors. Cash is always King; good to great deals can always be found especially on Sundays as folks are shutting down. I never really made it through the whole show while everyone was packing up.

The one negative it seems quite a few of the folks must not have indoor plumbing because the guys could not figure out how to flush the urinals, though I was back in Iraqi or Afghanistan dealing with guys from the middle ages or stone age. Life is too short to dwell on the negative but I’m sure glad I didn’t have a table near the mens room. WIth that happy note I close.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Made it to the show on friday and as always alot of nice stuff and people!

When a show is that big its easy to miss alot and collectors also have stuff under the table!

Quality wise lots of nice US stuff for sure but german military is the gorrilla in the room!

Just my thoughts that looking at lots of A-2 jackets and such that are nice but don't appear to sell!

I collected german edge weapons and have always had great luck selling daggers to overseas buyers!

I have always liked US stuff but found that collectors do not reach in the pockets as easy!

I don't like putting out cash for stuff thats hard to sell no matter how much I like it!

I know many of you are serious collectors in different fields but if I was buying nice german daggers I know they sell!

I can't say the same for US.

Now I wonder what others think!

PVON

I sat this year out. I never see much escape and evasion or medical items that I am looking for. If you think about it many of the better items are sold before the regular folks can get in. On set up day you have a few thousand dealers with at least one table helper each shopping, all the OVMS life members and staff, probably a few security folks and others shopping before the regular people can even get in the door.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Not necessarily...most "good stuff" in my opinion was not placed out until Thursday, and each successive day more quality material appeared for the first time. Everyone brings way more than can fit on a table, so there is a lot left below the table or in vehicles to replenish stock daily.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

If you think about it many of the better items are sold before the regular folks can get in. On set up day you have a few thousand dealers with at least one table helper each shopping, all the OVMS life members and staff, probably a few security folks and others shopping before the regular people can even get in the door.

That's the magic of the SOS - it is such a large show that it is quite simply impossible to be shopped out before the "regular guys" can get in. If you show up even Saturday morning, there will be great things to find. And as for the OVMS staff.. dude, trust me - you don't have anything to worry about from us. I was the first person there on Tuesday to ready the hall, also the last person to leave the following Sunday, and not once did I get a chance to go out and shop. I saw things on tables basically between my location in the hall and the front desk, and back and forth from various problems that needed solving. Most of my buying was done via people bringing stuff to me (thank you!), and I am pleased to have scored some wonderful deals that way.

We really don't want Wednesday to be perceived as the 'must-have' starting day of the show. That's why there are just a few hours to drop your stuff off at your table, and dealers are limited to themselves and one helper only on Wednesday.

Not necessarily...most "good stuff" in my opinion was not placed out until Thursday, and each successive day more quality material appeared for the first time. Everyone brings way more than can fit on a table, so there is a lot left below the table or in vehicles to replenish stock daily.

True! My wife and I managed to put up the cases and the lights on Wednesday, but didn't put a single thing out for sale until Thursday.

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif