Jennings Lane

Show of Shows 2015 Random thoughts.

I'm fortunate to live close enough to be able to attend the Show of Shows every year. This show, like in past years, was worth the trip from wherever you call home. I thought that I would post a few random thoughts about this years show. Merely my observations.

There was a noticeable number of empty tables, as well as tables that had been sparsely filled by adjacent dealers. I don't know how many of these were the result of cancellations due to bad weather in Louisville and throughout the eastern half of the country. Louisville was still dealing with the effects of a recent snowstorm and unusually cold temperatures. OVMS's choice of an ice scraper for their show souvenir was both clever and appropriate.

The largest importer of moderately priced German militaria was noticeably absent from the show. The dealer, who did attend the show, said that he was able to sell his merchandise in Europe or via the internet and spare himself the expense of shipping and vending at the show. Hopefully, that doesn't become a trend.

There was a lack of inexpensive, bulk militaria. I know it's harder to find but I miss the days when Jerry Dooley would have laundry hoppers of patches and insignia. While it would be hard to replace Jerry, I hope the show attracts more venders of his kind.

The veteran guests were, as always, terrific. I was pleased to see the war in Vietnam well represented by Don Jenkins MOH, three Special Forces veterans and a combat Marine who has recently written a book about his experiences. All the veteran guests add so much to this show. Living history separates this show from other venues where the emphasis is solely on vending.

I only saw one vehicle on display, when there's normally three or four. This could be weather related as well.

There were several people wandering the show in a variety of impressions ranging from the Civil War through Vietnam. There was an entire family in WW2 attire. They add a nice touch to the show. The promoters should consider a discount as an incentive to attract more reenactors. If they're like most reenactors I know, they're going to spend the savings and more at the show anyway.

There were more Civil War venders at the show than normal. They were a nice addition to the show.

Lots of great German militaria that seems to be more expensive every year. I don't buy on that level, so I'm not necessarily a great judge.

There were some fairly noticeable fakes being offered as the real thing. Sadly, that has become all too common. And, I don't think that there is much the society can do about it. It still hurts the hobby.

All said, I had great time. The Show of Shows is still the best.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Thanks for a well-written, unbiased commentary on the SOS. Sounds like what has happened at many other shows, though perhaps not on that scale. Thanks again,

Tom

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

All shows have a little of this kind of dealer or some of this kind of merchandise. ...the good and even sometimes the bad...I understand there was a larger cancellation percentage due to weather. ..I think there is no concerns of table sales declining. ..it can be figured by the long waiting list for obtaining a SOS table currently. ..the SOS in a nutshell. ..it's the "SUPERBOWL"

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks for the thoughts JL, its nice to hear what people think about shows. Enjoy being so close, here on the west coast we had the "Great Western" Gun & Militaria Show twice a year and couldnt wait for the next one..then the politicians ended it. :(

Ive gotta check the SOS out..thanks for the nice write up.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

Still the best show on earth. High quality militaria and even better vendors. If you can't find it here you may not need it. Spent all my money and then some. Will post some of my buys in another thread soon.

donation2017.gif

The quality and quantity for sale at the show is absolutely jaw dropping

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Matt's Military

milimportexport2@gmail.com

Did anyone get pictures of the Chesty Puller barracks cover? I got one but, I'm trying to resize it.

donation2012.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2017.gif

Here it is.

Wow! How much were they asking for that?

Will Twomey

In Honor of:

USA General John Wickham (1928-)

USAF Colonel Bernie Fisher MOH (1927-2014)

USMC Sergeant Al De Vito (Chosin Reservoir Survivor) (1926-)

USA Cpl. Macedonio Leyba (Bataan Death March survivor) (1917-2007)

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I thought attendance was down quite a bit compared to last year, also possibly weather related. It was too bad about the weather throughout the south and west hindering people getting there as the weather and roads around Louisville were no problem at all. There seamed to be quite a few vendors that either left Friday night or pretty early Saturday, possibly trying to beat bad weather out. I heard they were cancelling flights out of Louisville on Saturday too because of bad weather in other cities.

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I can only really report in the General Officer arena, but there were a LOT of fakes at the show purporting to real. On the other hand, I scooped up several really good ones with good chains of provenance to the owner.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Wow! How much were they asking for that?

I heard it sold for $2,500

donation2017.gif

Did you, or anyone inspect the purported provenance?

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Did you, or anyone inspect the purported provenance?

It had an old calling card, and "Chesty Puller" embossed on the sweatband. It was on the table with the Jimmy Stewart uniform, and various named items. Maybe others will chime in.

donation2017.gif

If that cover had solid provenance it seems like the bargain of the century.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

A buddy of mine went.Was his second year.He commented that he thought attendance was down as last year he stood two hours in line to get in this year not a long line at all.

He also passed on a mint M1 with fiber/Hawley liner for $400. He later saw the guy from top-pots with it.Not sure why he passed but guess he thought it was a repro liner because of condition being unworn and wasnt thinking clearly....lol. I told him he was junk drunk from drinking from the sea of OD.He did score three killer german helmets, two were camos and all had for a grand.He was pleasantly reassured when a couple of the big time dealers wanted to buy them.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

It had an old calling card, and "Chesty Puller" embossed on the sweatband. It was on the table with the Jimmy Stewart uniform, and various named items. Maybe others will chime in.

That's not enough for me, calling cards are too easily come by... and I've never seen an embossed leather band. Where that true I would expect to see Lewis B. or L.B. Puller.... not Chesty Puller.

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

That's not enough for me, calling cards are too easily come by... and I've never seen an embossed leather band. Where that true I would expect to see Lewis B. or L.B. Puller.... not Chesty Puller.

Agreed.

my exact thinking.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Agreed.

my exact thinking.

I agree as well.

donation2017.gif

There was a guy that was selling general groupings and they were super high priced. I was talking to Justin (CNYMilitaria) at the show and he said they guy had the same stuff every year and he thought the priced were outrageous too!

Just an observation.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Matt's Military

milimportexport2@gmail.com

I agree with JL at the start, this was my 11th SOS and really enjoyed it as always. I agree the weather was probably a factor in attendance, it has been a mess all over lately. I ran into Mort setting up late Friday and he said he had just gotten in after canceled flights. That probably accounted for many empty tables. Going back thru Missouri Saturday afternoon was terrible, snow for 250 miles from St. Louis to KC.

I heard that there were not that many guys over from the EU since their huge currency conversion as come back down to reality. boohoo, cry me river on that. I'm surprised we have anything left in the US after the 35% discount on currency they have had for the last 8 years.

One thing I would highly recommend to all is a visit down to Ft. Knox and the Patton museum. It is only a 30 minute drive from the show and well worth the trip to see all of his items and displays.

Alan

donation2018.gif

I heard that there were not that many guys over from the EU since their huge currency conversion as come back down to reality. boohoo, cry me river on that. I'm surprised we have anything left in the US after the 35% discount on currency they have had for the last 8 years.

A bad night maybe? :dry:

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif