Post WW1 Sam Browne belt with lots of signatures.

stucky151

Not sure how to date these, Im assuming from the darker shades, this belt to be post WW1 to WW2. What lead me to purchase this belt, way out of my collecting realm was all the signatures and names inside the belt. There are 19 total names i. This belt has 11 female officers and 8 male officers. i have been unable to locate (no ancestry.com) any info on any of these names. help would be greatly appreciated to nail a time frame to this. Also no info on who this came from other than it came from Phoenix Arizona.

The names I can make out are:

Capt Millie Hutchet

1st Lt Katheryne Frater

Maj Betty Hart

1st Lt Paula Rentz

Lt Betty Thompson

Lt Jeann? Warren

Capt Wade goll???

Col Bill Elliot

Lt Ruby Barka

Capt Judson R Perkins

Lt Pauline ???

1st Lt Gordon Grayson

Capt Lillian Langford?

Capt O.B Williams

1st Lt Billy Bookout

Capt Bob Cor???

What color is the belt? Could it be cordovan? That is that dark reddish brown color. If so, you might have a Marine officers belt here. I have an early enlisted mans white dress belt made of suede where the Marine listed his place of duty and the year for a several year period. I have seen other belts like this as well, so it seems to have been a long held Marine tradition to write inside of their belt. The only other thoughts I have is that the thinner buckle like yours has usually denotes overseas manufacture or earlier manufacture, pre 1930 or so, just from my experience. The belts worn by Marine officers in WWII tend to have a large thick, squared buckle. Having said that, I am not sure there were too many women even in WWII but definitely prior to the war that held high ranks like Captain or Major. I would love to hear from others on that one though, I am just not sure. Kevin

Yeah, im thrown for a loop too, cant find much info on anyone on the belt. Just one lead would help figure it out. The color is more dark brown/black than cordovan. And the belt is incredibly small, maybe a 26 or 27. When I get back home after I leave the office I can post more pics.

With all the female officers names it may be from a medical unit, signed by the docs and nurses. Just a thought. Great belt regardless

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Datil_Mountain_Muse

That small a belt, may have belonged to a female. And yes, medical sounds very possible.

What about the WASP group? I'm sure most of the women would have been officers in order to fly. Just a thought.