Another Friday Firearms Foto Quiz

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

It has been a while since we have had an entry in our occasional series on Friday Firearms Fotos. Here is today's entry.

Can anyone correctly identify the weapon being held by this US Doughboy? You guys are good so I am expecting a quick ID!

Regards,

Charlie

Doughboy and odd rifle.jpg

Charlie Flick

Nice work, Sully. You got it. It is indeed a Standard Arms Model G rifle which, by most accounts, was a terrible design. It competed with the self loading Winchesters and the Remington Model 8, and trailed miserably.

What this soldier is doing with this rifle is anybody's guess. The soldier is a member of the 26th Division and the photo is dated 1918. (Photo credit to Shane M. via Forgotten Weapons.)

It did not take you guys long to figure this one out. Next time I will try to come up with something a little more diabolical!

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

What caliber is that rifle? And was this an issued weapon?

Hi Otter:

The Model G rifle was chambered in several different calibers but I am informed that the most popular was .30 Remington. This was not a USGI rifle and, as far as I know, it was never given any serious consideration by the US military.

Regards,

Charlie