Rubber Ducky M16A1

Bob Hudson

These de-milled M-16's are called the rubber duck(y) training rifles. These have been discussed before on the forum, but I'm still not clear as to exactly how they made these. These obviously are not the same as the all-rubber training rifles. With the metal barrel and weight (this weighs just a couple ounces more than an M16A1 with no ammo) it has a realistic feel and appearance. You can read some of the original markings through the rubbery coating.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I watched them make one at TASC once. They take a real barrel that has been demilled at and put them into a mold with metal inside for the added weight then inject the heavy resin. After vacuuming out and applying the pressure they were heated and out came the training rifle. They had molds for all kinds of weapons, M16A1s, M16A2s, M4s with and without M203 and even M60s and M240Bs.

I watched them make one at TASC once. They take a real barrel that has been demilled at and put them into a mold with metal inside for the added weight then inject the heavy resin. After vacuuming out and applying the pressure they were heated and out came the training rifle. They had molds for all kinds of weapons, M16A1s, M16A2s, M4s with and without M203 and even M60s and M240Bs.

Thanks for those details!

I am going to guess that TASO-FG is for the Training Aids office at Fort Gordon, GA. You will find marking for many of the larger bases and training areas.