AEF Gasmasks & Respirators 1917 to 1919

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Photo No. 75: Undated late-war Gasmask Satchel with rivet reinforced corners and elongated side flaps. The longer flaps were added to better seal the satchel from moisture which could spoil the filter’s chemical content and render the gasmask useless.

Photos courtesy of the Rusty Canteen collection

post-5143-0-43237200-1425042504.jpg

world war I nerd

French Modèle 1917 Masque à Gaz Tissot

Used by the selected members of the AEF

from August 1918 until the End of the War

In June of 1917, the French Army introduced a new type of gasmask designed by Dr, Jules Tissot. Known as the Modèle 1917 Masque à Gaz Tissot, it was revolutionary in that its design allowed the filtered air to enter into the facepiece below the mask’s eyepieces. This allowed the air to circulate across the eyepieces before it was inhaled, which eliminated the problem of condensation that was common to all box type respirators.

The Tissot’s facepiece and harness was comprised entirely of thin sheet rubber which was glued together. It covered the entire face and was held on by an all rubber head harness. The large sized box filter canister, which was carried on the back, was superior to that of both the French M2 and ARS gasmasks, and the equal of the U.S. CEM gasmask. After passing through the filter, air entered into the facepiece below each glass eyepiece via a rubber hose which passed over the shoulder. The exhaled air was expelled through a rubber flutter valve placed on a vertical angle joint on the front of the mask. Intentionally designed without a mouthpiece or nose-clip, the mask’s comfort was excellent when compared to that of the various SBRs in use on the Western Front.

Even though the Tissot Gasmask was considered to be both comfortable and effective, the large size of its filter box interfered with the French Army’s basic infantry equipment. Because of this, the French Army only issued the Tissot to Piolus whose duties were so critical that they could not cease, or prevented them from taking shelter during a gas attack. This included gas sentries, artillery and trench mortar crews, medics and stretcher bearers, messengers, and key communications personnel, all of whom who were not burdened with the same heavy load of an infantryman.

Photo No. 76: Adjustments to an artillery barrage are relayed to a signalman from a forward observer via field phone. The signalman calls out the coordinates and range adjustments while the assistant writes them down. The officer or NCO in charge then verbally relays the written instructions to the battery commander via a megaphone which was necessary to be heard over the thunderous roar of incoming and outgoing shells. All three men have been issued Tissot Gasmasks, because unlike the SBR, it did not hinder verbal communication. The inset shows what is believed to be one of the most complete surviving examples of the Tissot Gasmask.

Inset courtesy of the Boris Plotnikoff collection

post-5143-0-60743200-1425042577.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 77: This period engraving shows both the interior and exterior of the Tissot’s black rubber facepiece, which did away with the uncomfortable nose clip and mouthpiece. The Tissot was the first gasmask of the war to direct incoming air across the eyepieces by way of twin “Tissot tubes” set into the facepiece. The folded wire spacer connected to the exhaust port prevented the thin facepiece from collapsing when the user inhaled. Beneath the mask is the horizon blue painted, wooden box stenciled in black, “APPAREIL T” in which the entire apparatus was housed. In the French Army, the Tissot Gasmask was considered a “special sector apparatus”. As such, when troops rotated to the rear, the Tissot masks were left behind in fixed positions such as pillboxes and communications dugouts to be used by the incoming troops.

Engraving from La Guerre Des Gaz 1915-1918, Gerard Lachaux & Patrice Delhomme, 1985

post-5143-0-86834900-1425042626.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 78: Side by side comparison of the above engraving with the twin Tissot tube arrangement, angle joint, and vertical flutter valve of an surviving Tissot Gasmask.

Engraving from La Guerre Des Gaz 1915-1918, Gerard Lachaux & Patrice Delhomme, 1985

Right hand photo courtesy of the Boris Plotnikoff collection

post-5143-0-65502700-1425042679.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 79: Left, in late 1917, the Tissot’s fragile rubber facepiece was replaced by one constructed from the same boiled linseed oil impregnated rubberized fabric with that was used to fabricate the ARS Gasmask’s facepiece. The light khaki color of this Tissot mask’s facepiece suggests that it is a late war mask. Right, early in 1918 a new filter cartridge was developed to enhance the overall filtration capabilities of the Tissot gasmask. This pattern of filter “included a distinctive red paint mark”. Presumably the red on this filter canister indicates that it is the improved version.

Right hand photo courtesy of the Boris Plotnikoff collection

post-5143-0-17799400-1425042733.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 80: At left is the reverse side of the horizon blue painted Tissot mask’s filter box. This example has both cloth and rope shoulder straps. The right hand image shows the obverse side of the large filter box, which is being worn on the chest as opposed to the more usual location, which was on the back. The rope or heavy cord that has been used to suspend the filter box from the neck and secure it to the body seem to have been the regulation, or at least the most common means, of carrying the gasmask.

post-5143-0-14373400-1425042776.jpg

world war I nerd

The French Tissot Gasmask in the AEF

According to America’s Munitions, because of its late entry into the war, only “small numbers” of the Tissot Gasmask were “officially procured” for use by the AEF. As in the French Army, the Tissot Gasmask was issued only to Doughboy artillerymen, Signal Corps troops, front line medical personnel, and others who had to remain active during a gas attack. Like the French Army, the AEF also found that the Tissot mask was unsuitable for the ordinary infantrymen for the following reasons:

• The box filter was clumsy and difficult to carry.
  • The all rubber facepiece was too delicate and was easily torn or damaged.
  • If the facepiece was ruptured the wearer became a gas casualty.
  • The entire apparatus was thought to be too complicated and fragile to trust in the hands of the average Doughboy.

Back in America, respirator designers were impressed by the Tissot’s unique and innovative design. They took notice of its many innovative features, which included:

• The fact that the facepiece had a fit tight and was comfortable.
  • The fact that it did away with both the mouthpiece and the nose-clip.
  • The fact that it solved the problem of fogged lenses.
  • The fact that the mask’s filter offered much less resistance to breathing.
  • The fact that the mask had the same filtration capability as the U.S. CEM Gasmask.
  • The fact that the mask was one of, if not the most comfortable gasmask to wear.
  • The fact that the mask made verbal communication both easier and safer.

Photo No. 81: The Tissot masks benefits and the reason why it was issued only in limited quantities to AEF personnel were explained in this excerpt from a book devoted to the American Army’s Chemical warfare Service:

Another mask, the Tissot, was officially procured from the French, although it was for issue only in “small numbers” to artillerymen, Signal Corps troops, and front-line medical units whose personnel had to be active during gas attacks. Not only did the mask’s filter offer less resistance to breathing and have the same quality filtration of the American SBR, but the problem of fogged vision associated with the SBR did not exist. The Tissot design allowed air to flow between the two lenses of each eyepiece, eliminating condensation. Most important, the Tissot design did away with a nose clip and mouthpiece, making it a comfortable yet safe mask. Unfortunately, as noted earlier, the filter location on the back, together with the flimsy rubber facepiece, made it unsuitable for infantry.

Chemical Warfare in World War I: the American Experience, 1984, Major Charles E. Heller USAR, page 65

On the left is Private John Sloan, a Doughboy in the medical detachment of the 6th Infantry Regiment, 6th Division somewhere near Croix de Charemont on August 20, 1918. The private has donned an anti-gas suit to prevent him from becoming contaminated with mustard gas while treating AEF gas casualties. A Tissot Gasmask hangs from its breathing tube over Private Sloan’s left shoulder. When the mask was not in use, the small dangling cork was plugged into the port on the bottom of the filter canister through which air entered. The right hand photo shows a profile view of the Tissot gasmask. Note that both filter canisters have been attached to the body by heavy cord.

Photos courtesy of the Rusty Canteen collection

world war I nerd

Photo No. 82: Judging by this Photo of American Doughboys in the act of covering an FT 17 tank with camouflage netting, troops other than those in the Medical Service, Artillery and Signal Corps branches of the AEF received Tissot Gasmasks as all three enlisted men have Tissot Gasmask filter canisters strapped/tied onto their backs.

Photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-72609600-1425042980.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 83: Close ups of the three Doughboys from the above photo, all of whom are wearing Tissot Gasmasks with filter boxes that appear to be horizon blue in color.

Photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-17009500-1425043030.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 84: The Tissot’s filter was effective for up to 50 hours of exposure to light gas concentrations, and for 30 hours in extreme conditions. Here AEF Signal Corps personnel maintain communications by way of a field phone during the Argonne campaign in November 1918. Both men are wearing the French Tissot Gasmask with heavy cord used as shoulder straps.

post-5143-0-57367500-1425043087.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 85: To my knowledge, the only carrier for the Tissot Gasmask was this wooden crate with leather shoulder strap shown in a period engraving.

post-5143-0-22070500-1425043145.jpg

world war I nerd

French

Modèle 1917 Appareil Respiratoire Spécial

Used by the 93rd Infantry Division and other selected members

of the AEF from November 1917 until the end of the war

The design for the Appareil Respiratoire Spécial Modèle 1917, the final respirator used the French Army, was approved in September 1917. The mask’s name when translated into English is the “Model 1917 Special Breathing Apparatus”, but it was commonly called the ARS Gasmask. The ARS made its combat debut in November of 1917. It was issued alongside of the French M2 and Tissot gasmasks until the end of the war. The ARS respirator’s design was loosely based on that of the German Lederschutzmaske. The mask featured a rubber facepiece with either a waxed or oiled linen lining. Viewing was accomplished through two celluloid eyepieces. Because the ARS was a single-protection gasmask – a mask in which the air inlet tube entered directly into the space between the wearer’s face and facepiece, not through a mouthpiece, the mask offered far less resistance to breathing. Like other single-protection masks, there was also no need for the irritating mouthpiece or nose-clip. Air was inhaled directly through a replaceable filter, canister that was screwed onto the front of the mask. Like the Tissot Gasmask, the inhaled air was directed across the eyepieces preventing them from fogging. The mask was housed in a fluted metal canister that was suspended from an adjustable khaki cotton strap. The canister was initially painted horizon blue in 1917, but the color was changed to khaki in 1918.

Photo No. 86: An ARS Gasmask hangs from its khaki cotton neck strap on this French soldier who also wears an anti-gas smock and gloves. Strapped onto his back is a French Vermorel hand-pumped sprayer. The Vermorel sprayer was used to decontaminate and neutralize the effects of poisonous gas in the trenches. The inset shows a better view of the ARS Gasmask.

post-5143-0-37512200-1425043266.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 87: Two images of the ARS Gasmask: the left hand mask features the first pattern headdress, and to its right is a mask bearing the improved second pattern headdress.

Photos courtesy of the Boris Plotnikoff collection

post-5143-0-83004600-1425043320.jpg

world war I nerd

The French ARS Gasmask in the AEF

The ARS Gasmask was never officially issued by the AEF. However, it was issued by the French Army to members of the AEF that were attached to their Army in one capacity or another. During the final months of the war, the African American Doughboys of the 93rd Infantry Division would have been the AEFs prime recipients of the ARS Gasmask, as the four infantry regiments of that division served exclusively with the French. Because the filtration capabilities of the ARS was equal to that of an American CEM mask, and because the ARS did not have the hated mouthpiece and nose-clip, many Doughboys, particularly officers, procured ARS masks unofficially. According to reports, the sight of their comrades wearing non-regulation gasmasks caused numerous Doughboys to doubt the effectiveness of their issued box respirator. The result being that many Doughboys threw away or intentionally damaged their SBR hoping to have it replaced by what they thought was a superior gasmask. Concerned that misgiving about the safety of American issued gas equipment would spread throughout the ranks, division gas officers expressly forbade the practice of wearing any gasmask that had not been sanctioned by the AEF. In fact, a General Order had to be circulated which specifically stated:

That only the material issued by the Gas Service is authorized for use.

Chemical Warfare in World War I, 1984, Major Charles E. Heller, page 32

Photo No. 89: The African American Doughboys of the 93rd Infantry Division were issued ARS Gasmasks late in 1918 when their M2 masks were no longer serviceable. On the left at least two members of this one pound gun crew are in possession of ARS Gasmasks. The standing soldier’s ARS mask hangs from his neck. He has also utilized a French Army leather equipment belt as a trouser belt. Another ARS respirator is visible in front of the Doughboy crouching on the right. The reconstruction at right, of a “Black Yankee” from the 93rd Division also carries an ARS Gasmask inside the fluted metal tin slung from his right shoulder.

post-5143-0-22039100-1425043447.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 90: At left is a group that belonged to AEF Captain John E. Freed of Base Hospital No. 78. The group included an ARS Gasmask that he probably obtained outside of the AEF supply system. The center photo shows another AEF officer wearing an Adrian Helmet. It also looks as if an ARS Gasmask tin is suspended from his right shoulder. At right is the fluted tin, with instructions printed in French inside its lid.

Left hand photo courtesy of Beast’s collection

post-5143-0-77292900-1425043507.jpg

world war I nerd

German 1917 Lederschutzmaske

Used by AEF Doughboys

on the battlefield as needed from 1918 until the end of the war

In June of 1918, GHQ declared that the French M2 Gasmask would no longer be carried as a reserve gasmask by combat troops. The absence of a reserve gasmask in the form of the M2 Gasmask placed any Doughboy fighting at the front with just one mask in a very precarious position should his SBR became damaged or otherwise unserviceable. If the facepiece of a Doughboy’s respirator snagged on a rusty coil of barbed wire or was sliced open by an errant shell fragment, it was imperative that he secure an emergency replacement at the earliest opportunity. This was usually accomplished by removing the mask, often of foreign manufacture, from one of the many unfortunate souls that had been killed on the field of battle.

Following those of American, British, and French manufacture, the most common gasmask scavenged by American Doughboys in a time of need was the German Lederschutzmaske. The practice of utilizing German made masks was noted by many Doughboys in letters, diaries and published and unpublished manuscripts of their experiences during the Great War. Here, an officer in the 2nd Division described the clothing and equipment that comprised his uniform during the bitter fighting for control of Belleau Wood, and the importance of the German gasmask that he “borrowed”:

Dirty torn suit; wrapped puttees; shoes that used to be boots, but are now cut off. Steel helmet, with a hole through it and a big dent; pistol belt and suspenders; 1st aid package and cover; pistol and holster; canteen, cup and cover. Knapsack which holds toilet articles, maps, message book, extra cartridges, etc; field glasses and case; two extra pistol clips and case; German gasmask (which saved my life) and French gasmask (M2); big German Lugar pistol and holster; Big mussette bag, malted milk tablets, comb, little clothes brush, alkaline tablets (for gas), and other junk. A blanket roll which contains a poncho, blanket, air-pillow, handkerchiefs, socks, underwear, etc; and a German raincoat slung over my arm.

2nd Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, 96th Company, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Division, AEF

Photo No. 91: As a result of the scarcity of rubber in Imperial Germany late in 1916, the 1917 Lederschutzmaske, whose facepiece was made entirely of leather was developed (inset) to replace both the 1915 and 1916 pattern Gummimaskes (background) whose face pieces were comprised of rubberized cloth.

post-5143-0-49116600-1425043587.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 92: Left, an American Doughboy, who is either donning or doffing a French Adrian helmet is wearing the German 1917 Lederschutzmaske. Center, the metal gasmask carrier carried by this American officer was designed to house the German 1917 Lederschutzmaske. Right, this photo shows an overall view of the late war German gasmask. The body of the leather mask was made of chrome tanned sheepskin which had been dipped in sealing oil. After fabrication, all of the mask’s seams were further sealed with a coat of clear lacquer.

post-5143-0-18736600-1425043669.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 93: Interior view of the 1917 Leather Gasmask superimposed over a backdrop that shows both mule and man wearing the 1915 Gummimaske.

post-5143-0-51517100-1425043732.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 94: The field gray painted metal 1917 Lederschutzmaske canister is shown here next to two AEF officers, both of whom appear to be carrying a similar gasmask canister. Note that they are not carrying any other type of French, British or U.S. made respirator.

post-5143-0-36814300-1425043790.jpg

world war I nerd

U.S. Akron-Tissot Gasmask

It is not known if the Akron-Tissot Gasmask was used by the AEF

In 1918 the Germans were using poisonous gases with increasing frequency. As a result, the Doughboys were forced to wear their SBRs for longer and longer periods of time. In some cases Doughboys wore their masks for up to eight hours or more. This made the problem of comfort of prime importance as the SBR became excruciatingly painful after it was worn for a prolonged period of time. Due to the fact that numerous American soldiers had become gas casualties from tearing off their respirator when they could no longer endure the discomfort and pain it caused, GHQ demanded that the Chemical Warfare Service devise a single-protection gasmask that could be comfortably worn for eight hours or longer, even if a certain amount of the mask’s efficiency had to be sacrificed.

The relatively comfortable, single-protection French Tissot Gasmask, whose air delivery system prevented the lenses from fogging provided American respirator designers with something to work with. The Tissot Gasmask as designed by the French was ideal in terms of comfort because it did away with the uncomfortable mouthpiece and nose-clip that was necessary on all double-protection SBR type masks. Unfortunately, the Tissot’s clumsy filter box made it impossible to wear the U.S. Army’s regulation infantry equipment. Plus its pure gum rubber facepiece was deemed to be far too fragile to withstand the rigors of combat. Nevertheless, the Tissot’s superior design led to the advent of the Akron-Tissot Gasmask (AT).

Photo No. 96: The AT Gasmask combined the Tissot mask’s twin deflector valves with the RFK mask’s eyepieces, inlet/outlet valve (angle joint), hose and canister with an entirely new rubberized fabric facepiece that was molded to conform to the generic contours of the wearer’s face. The inset shows a petrified, but nevertheless well preserved AT mask.

Background photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

Inset courtesy of the Dan-Retro on the forums collection

post-5143-0-21436100-1425043906.jpg

world war I nerd

Designed by the Akron Rubber Company of Ohio in June of 1918, the AT Gasmask as the mask was called was ready for field trials by August of 1918. The AT Gasmask incorporated the following improvements:

• After a careful study made of the shape and size of hundreds of human face shapes and head sizes, a new gas-tight rubber facepiece was designed, which allowed the wearer to breath freely through either the mouth or the nose. The molder rubber facepiece was made considerably stronger by combining a “stockinet” material with the natural rubber.
  • The AT contained an internal chin rest.
  • The twin deflector valve system of the Tissot mask.
  • A new and superior inlet and outlet arrangement (angle joint).
  • An elastic head harness that was fully adjustable (adjustments to previous SBR harnesses was achieved by means of a large safety pin).
  • The Tissot’s oversized box filter was replaced with a small “infantry” style type ‘J’ green filter canister as used on the RFK mask.
Even though the AT gasmask provided additional comfort, it turned out to be difficult to manufacture. During its field trials it was also discovered that the shape of the rubber facepiece did not fully protect soldiers whose faces had high cheekbones or hollow cheeks. Because of this only 197,000 AT Gasmasks had been produced before the project was scrapped in December of 1918. 

Photo No. 97: Views showing the profile and interior of the AT Gasmask’s molded rubber facepiece. Note the internal chin rest in the center photo.

Right hand photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-50314200-1425044003.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 98: At left is the AT Gasmask and its regulation gasmask satchel. The AT Gasmask and filter box were carried in the same late war satchel with elongated side flaps that housed late war CE and RFK gasmasks (see photo number 72). Because the AT mask was remarketed after the war, the example shown was used by French firefighters and bears a non-regulation red and green filter canister with D-rings that was manufactured in France. The right hand photo shows the profile of the AT Mask’s tight fitting rubber facepiece. It’s likely that some AT Gasmasks made it overseas for testing. However, because the mask was never mass produced, if it was worn in France, it would have been worn in very limited quantities.

Left hand photo courtesy of the Dan-Retro on the forums collection

Right hand photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-88064400-1425044072.jpg