If You Can't Take the Heat Then Stay Away From These Stoves and Ration Heaters

rambob

Here is a mint unissued Model 523, Coleman, double burner stove with half of the issue box it came packed in. Somewhere in the history of this stove, the lower half of the cardboard box became wet and dissolved. I removed the bad section and kept the rest of the box with the stove since it still had the Coleman return address readable on it. Luckily the stove itself did not seem adversely affected by the moisture and is still pristine. The stove also came complete with the wrench and both metal tubes full of spare parts. The stove is stamped U.S. COLEMAN 1943 on the front. I am also showing a combination aluminum carrying case and medical instrument sterilizing tub that the stove can also fit inside for storage. The case is stamped U.S. AGMCO 1944 and the stove fits really tight in this case and is a challenge to remove it once it is inserted.

AGMCO is the American Gas Machine Co. which also made identical stoves and lanterns for the U.S. Military from at least WWII.

I have a used 1965 model gas stove in an aluminum container. I'm taking it to a collector show in a couple of weeks to sell with

a bunch of other "stuff" as it's time to down-size. It looks just like the 1964 & 1966 model shown on this thread. Danny

• 3 months later...

I recently picked up this 1943 dated stove by American Gas Machine. This one is unusual because the can is made of steel instead of aluminum and it's painted a light green color. I found a picture of a similar one online and an explanation that the earlier cans were painted steel. The other one was painted the same light green shade so mine is obviously not just a one-off. Can anyone confirm that the paint is original?

post-265-0-76831000-1434678359.jpg

phantomfixer

Just to add to the thread and the versatility and durability of the these little gems....

Here is my 1951 stove, refurbish thanks to parts from ebay....on the Appalachian Trail, S Mountain... about 21 degress.. I lugged this stove in my pack..the other guys had lightweight trail stoves that would not function...the propane froze.....this little stove cooked for the 4 of us

note the 2 qt canteen...it was frozen solid....in the carry bag wrapped up...still froze...

post-155518-0-91836400-1434723129.jpg

• 2 years later...

Regards to the question of GIs repurposing the German Gas Mask Carrier Cannister, the Germans had a similar stove called a Jewel 33 that conveniently fit inside the GM carrier

I can see Joes either confiscating the whole rig, or repurposing a GM carrier to protect the Pocket Stove to maintain ability to heat chow and coffee, although it would take up more room in the Musette or Pack.