Advise on Reenacting, Clothing, Equipment for a Complete Newbie.

PFCJoshQ

Hello Everyone,

I am a complete newbie on the topic of reenacting and gear.

Somehow I came across video footage of Conneaut D-Day in Ohio and decided that I wanted to purchase gear and participate. I started searching online and found wwiiimpressions.com and atthefront.com along with this website.

The question is where do I go from here? I live in Columbus, OH. I would like to purchase a uniform and gear that is relevant to D-Day as either a US Ranger or Paratrooper. However, I am trying to do it smartly by buying good quality and at a good price as I dont have an unlimited budget. I also would like to purchase a M1 Garand.

-Where do you all recommend I go for the pieces? Is there anywhere to point me to for "used" (someone getting out of reenacting)?

-Also, what groups should I look at that are in Ohio to participate in other events besides Conneaut?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,

Josh Q

People post here all the time with things for sale for reenactment and display, at the front has some pretty good replica things from what I know. Sometimes ebay has decent things for good prices that could be good for reenactment. Also try backpage.com for the M1 garand, I know alot of gun collectors who have gotten great deals there

You may want to look in your area for specific reenacting groups. Some of the groups require a specific uniform set up and they also have standards (some what) pertaining to hair cuts, and other physical features..

They will have contacts for uniforms and equipment. You could start there and then that will give you an idea for starting to purchase your gear..

Leigh

I agree with Rakkasan, find a unit in your area, and contact the unit leader and let him know that you are interested in possibly joining their unit. He will more than likely point you toward that specific units TO&E, and from there you should be able to start picking up uniforms and gear from your impression.

Where do you recommend I look to find out what units are in my area? Is there a master list somewhere?

I appreciate all of the help with this.

audacia cum prudentia

My advice Josh, is as follows :

a) The war lasted a bloody sight longer than 11:00 Hours June 5th 1944 to 12:00 Hours June 6th 1944, Do not limit yourself to this. I have laughed myself till I filled my incontinence pads many a time at D - Day paras, replete with Mohicans, chin cups, jump ropes and war paint, - in Bastogne, in December, in the snow.

B) Airborne and Rangers are done to death in re-enactment circles, just do normal infantry, and don't get hung up on "unit patch blindness"

c) Do some research and find a good quality, fairly local unit, do not buy sweet FA until you do your research as you will piss away a WAD

OF WASTED MONEY, especially if buying repro gear which does not have the same re-sale value, Ebay is often cheapest.

d) Just once in your life, get your butt over to where it really happened and do a big event in the ETO

My advice Josh, is as follows :

a) The war lasted a bloody sight longer than 11:00 Hours June 5th 1944 to 12:00 Hours June 6th 1944, Do not limit yourself to this. I have laughed myself till I filled my incontinence pads many a time at D - Day paras, replete with Mohicans, chin cups, jump ropes and war paint, - in Bastogne, in December, in the snow.

B) Airborne and Rangers are done to death in re-enactment circles, just do normal infantry, and don't get hung up on "unit patch blindness"

c) Do some research and find a good quality, fairly local unit, do not buy sweet FA until you do your research as you will piss away a WAD

OF WASTED MONEY, especially if buying repro gear which does not have the same re-sale value, Ebay is often cheapest.

d) Just once in your life, get your butt over to where it really happened and do a big event in the ETO

Some excellent advice here! Also, most groups have loaner gear available you can use for the first few events, so you can see if this hobby is something for you before you invest your money. Nobody will expect you to show up in full kit for your first event.

E/506 're-enacted' is larger now than the entire US Army in 1944, and the Rangers follow suit. Unless your really put your mind to these impressions have a look at the plethora of leg units that participated in D-Day. With the same basic outfit you can portray nearly every unit in nearly every battle between 1941 & 1945 by just switching patches... ;)

It's the same thing with jeep markings. There are enough out there that the para groups could have given one to each guy and they could all have driven to Berlin. ;)

• 1 month later...

As some recent posts here, the best way to start should be finding a local reenactor group/unit, and join their events for a few times. For WWII paratrooper starters, replica would be a good choice.

PS: Columbus is not so far away from my location, but as far as I know I have no idea about any WWII reenactor group near there, since I am a VN era collector... sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...
Crackiswhack140

Thread is a bit dead but I figured I'd add in my say. Check out the ww2 reenacting forum (google it). They have a big list of all of the units in the US. The 90th Infantry does have their act together and has a few members in Columbus (I'm in it, but not from Columbus). they might not be on that list though. Our CO Chris Guska used to be Safety and Authenticity coordinator at Conneaut I believe and did Ordinance last year. Find a unit before you start buying as many units have very different equipment. Airborne and rangers might be super cool but they are incredibly over represented and have a negative reputation with many other units. Not to mention that they were only active in a few battles. Also, research is the most important thing in the hobby. Research impressions, research equipment, research products. I wouldn't buy a gun until you know what you are buying. Frankly, Conneaut's battle was one of the least enjoyable thing's I've done reenacting. There were much better battles elsewhere and the rest of Conneaut was so much better than the battle. Good luck!