Correct ribbon placement?

bellasilva

I'm finally starting to put together and replicate the class A uniform of a soldier's dog tag that I own. He served as a rifleman in the 11th Infantry Brigade in Vietnam from 1969-1970 and was wounded very late in his tour, from what I understand right before his year was up. These are the decorations he was awarded. I had the ribbon rack made up at the local Army/Navy shop today and was wondering if the ribbon placement was correct. Thanks in advance gents

post-104906-0-33109600-1424805105.jpg

You have to be careful using on-line ribbon rack builders.

The regs have changed over the years.

I don't remember the exact dates, but the Purple Heart used to rate lower than the Army Commendation Medal for example, but that has now changed.

If this man also had an ARCOM and you used a modern rack builder, it would be wrong for his era.

Interesting, I had no idea. Thankfully his dog tag came with his freedom of information act paperwork so all his awards were listed. What's odd to me is there isn't a CIB listed, and his specific company being rather infamous at the time, they are extremely well documented and have daily reports from every single day the company was in Vietnam from 1967-1971. They took contact, including WIAs and KIAs almost every single day. I've seen similar paperwork with CIBs listed. Thanks for the help guys

He actually was a rifleman and is listed so on the Company rosters while in Vietnam, and in his file as well, which makes it odd. I suppose it just isn't listed for whatever reason..

Here are a couple shots from his file just for the sake of posting them..I've been studying his service in - depth for a while now..it's probably my favorite tag

post-104906-0-03293600-1424811140.jpg

post-104906-0-59892200-1424811163.jpg

Can you add a pic of the complete fourth column that lists all his unit assignments? I see that he was assigned to the ACC in 1969. Also, the Americal Combat Center was part of the Division Support Command (not an infantry unit) likely making him ineligible for the CIB.

Sure, here ya go- he was a student at the Americal Combat Center for 7 days upon his arrival to Vietnam, where he's then assigned to Charlie Company of the 20th Inf Regt, 11th Inf Bde as a rifleman.

post-104906-0-87209300-1424956131.jpg

You might want to redact the SSN visible on the tag. Also check the Lineage and Honors for his unit because he might have other ribbons he's entitled to that were approved after he left e.g. MUC, PUC, etc. Also, all MACV units were awarded the ARVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm by the South Vietnamese government before it fell.

Mark sends

Will do Mark, thanks. As far as the SSN goes, unfortunately he passed away January of last year which is why I decided to leave it there..unless that's still a no-no? His company is very well documented so I'll get cracking on the lineage and honors

Thanks for adding the 4th column. After looking at the dailies and seeing the unit history I really do not see why he shouldn't have a CIB. Perhaps it is like Mark said above "approved after he left the unit" or it was simply left off of his record. Experience has taught me that if I didn't inform the records person of my awards they didn't always make it into my records.

Thanks Tom. I definitely found it odd. This may completely wrong but I'm wondering if it wasn't listed due to just a lack of space in the awards section of the paperwork. If I remember correctly it was filled up with the list of ribbons he would've worn