Commemorative Air Force B-29 Superfortress

choochoo

doinworkinvans

I find it hard to beleive that this is the last flying one...so odd as they were used so much later into Korea. Its a shame they were all scrapped and more couldnt be saved for commerative purposes.

It is the last flying one. Has been for many, many years.

There would have been two if they hadn't burned up Kee Bird. There is another B-29 being restored to flying condition (maintenance, fuel, and parts are outrageously expensive) in Kansas at the former B-29 plant in Wichita: http://www.b-29doc.com/

Last time I saw the CAF at the William Lyon Air museum, they told me the B-24 they had on display was 1 of 2 that were airworthy.

Yep, 2 airworthy (Diamond Lil and Witchcraft), and only 20 airframes left in the world.

If you wanna be technical, Diamond Lil is a C-87 converted to look like a B-24D. So, there is only one true B-24 flying today.

-Ski

In 1971 or 1972, I was sitting at a traffic light in Midwest City, OK and I saw a B-29 flying. It had to have been Fifi. I thought it was landing at Tinker AFB, but couldn't find it on the ground. For a while I thought I saw a ghost plane.

B-29 44-61748 "Hawg Wild" is preserved at the American Air Museum, Duxford, England. I believe it could potentially be restored to airworthy condition.

post-8022-0-82322600-1424808342.jpg

I think many of the static display B-29s could potentially be made airworthy, but the time and expense to do so would be prohibitive. Plus, many of them have already been cannibalized for parts for other projects, like Fifi and Kee Bird.

doinworkinvans

Such great news!!!! I know it costs tons and tons of cash, but to see these beauties back in the skies is so rewarding.

FiFi is a regular at the Reading WWII Weekend Air Show the last 4 years or so. Coming back again this year as well. Always a great sight and sound. Here's to many more years in the air for her!

post-89245-0-25750300-1424997848.jpg

Such great news!!!! I know it costs tons and tons of cash, but to see these beauties back in the skies is so rewarding.

Last I heard they (Doc) were aiming to be at Oshkosh this year....and FiFi is scheduled to be there as well. Can't imagine seeing 2 Superfortresses fly together (if they do it!)

THe kicker with DOc is that one of the volunteers was one of the "Rosie the Riveters" that quite possibly put it together back in '44/45! I sent them a trivial sum toward the restoration, but I hope every bit counts.

That story about Kee Bird... always kind of ticked me off. I can't fathom the likelihood of their plan... Saw the documentary "I think we can do it" must have been said a thousand times, and the damned thing burned to a crisp. I think there had to be a better way.

riflegreen297

Here is FIFI in Colorado Springs back in 1995/1996. I have some of Diamond Lil and some others also from the same show.

post-4227-0-04590800-1425065350.jpg

Here I am at the FIFI's controls getting ready for my 4 engine check ride ;)

post-4227-0-93463000-1425065441.jpg