Iwo Jima 70 years ago today the flag went up

devildog34

Been thinking about this all day and it's become ritual to call my grandfather on Feb. 19th (day he landed in the first wave at Iwo) and again on March 10 (the day he was wounded). In 2009 he had the opportunity to go to Iwo Jima and asked me to go and that he would go if I would go with him and of course I would not miss it for the world. We of course got on top of Suribachi something he obviously did not do during the battle but he was quite surprised as to how small the island actually appeared not to mention the vegetation that 64 years free of pre-invasion bombardment has allowed to return. Going back to that island with him was about the most remarkable experience I have had. It ranks up there with interviewing the last living Belleau Wood Marine veteran and perhaps the birth of a child (not crossed that one off yet). I wanted to at least share the moment I got to spend with my grandfather on Suribachi. He landed in the first wave on Red I with E Co. 2/27 as a machine gun section leader and was badly wounded by a through and through gunshot wound to the abdomen on March 10, 1945. His records say March 8 but he adamantly says it was March 10 because it was only a few days after his platoon commander Lt. Jack Lummus died. Lummus was awarded posthumously the Medal of Honor.

post-2182-0-15266600-1424746397.jpg

Here's his boot camp mug shot. He was 16 when he enlisted having been caught trying to enlist in Amarillo at 15 yrs old when he lived in Pampa, TX and was sent home. When he turned 16 years old on May 8, 1942 he managed to convince his dad, an oil field worker, to vouch that he as 17 and enlist with parental consent. On May 13, 1942 he left for MCRD San Diego. Today he's 88 and still going pretty strong. His oral history is available online at the National WWII page.

http://www.ww2online.org/view/jim-goodrich/segment-9

post-2182-0-11472300-1424747380.jpg

Raidercollector

Awesome to go there with your grandfather on the anniversary of Iwo. And going to the top of suribachi. Thanks for sharing Kevin.

Nick

American Heritage

Been thinking on it all as well today. What a privilege to be able to discuss it and visit with the man who was actually there.

Semper Fidelis.

That is just too cool. I bet not too many Iwo vets thought they'd make it through the first day, let alone visit 64 years later. If you don't mind me asking, what other campaigns did he participate in? I ask because of his ribbon rack

Before Iwo, he was a BAR gunner with Co. L 3/6 2nd Mar Div and landed at Guadalcanal for the mop up Jan. 1943. He also went ashore at Tarawa on Nov. 22nd and participated in the final push along the beak. Iwo was of course his most intense but he saw quite a bit of action at Guadalcana and was involved in a patrol that his friend James Dunn was awarded the Navy Cross. He joined the 5th Division early by mid-1944. I'll look at his records.

Amazing. I couldn't imagine being 16 or 17 years old and witnessing and taking part in just the greatest carnage the world had to offer at the time. What an honor it must be to call him your grandfather

ViewfinderGyrene

Amazing. I couldn't imagine being 16 or 17 years old and witnessing and taking part in just the greatest carnage the world had to offer at the time. What an honor it must be to call him your grandfather

My thoughts exactly, he was younger than I am now, incredible!