WW2 female Bronze star winner grouping

42fordjeeper

So I had this posted on the grouping section but I think it belongs over here, I picked this uniform up a few weeks ago and I have been gathering information through talks with the family. This uniform belonged to Fern E Hudgens, she joined the Army in 1943 and was a stenographer, She was in Africa Italy France and Germany, she won her Bronze star from what I am told in Italy when her camp was over run and she was handed a pistol, She donated one of her uniforms to the National Womens War Memorial in Dc and it is still on display, this is the first time I have bought a uniform and have actually gotten this much info on the person with pictures, I dont keep things much but I feel this is something special to hold on to, I will be trying to get pieces for the uniform like the correct shoes and purse I also want to put it on a mannequin so it can be displayed properly, Here is the uniform and I will post all the pictures I have received of her. I hope everyone enjoys.

post-123-0-24421700-1429032963.jpgpost-123-0-47932200-1429032976.jpgpost-123-0-13489300-1429032990.jpgpost-123-0-76332200-1429033007.jpg

This is what the family told me about her

Fern was a child of the depression. The fourth child of six. She was born and raised in Deepwater MO, a small town on the edge of the Ozarks. She enjoyed school and sports. In her early twenties she moved to Ft. Wayne, Indiana and lived with her aunt and took a job at a factory working for the war. She then decided to join the Women's Army Corp. She did her training and was a secretary. Eventually shipped overseas she was assigned to be a secretary to a general in the transportation division. She served in England , France, Germany and Italy. Italy is where I believe she was awarded her bronze star. The story she tells is that they were told that the camp may be overtaken and was given a hand gun. A few shots later and some fighting it was over. A few days later she was given her star and went back to work. My mom was very proud of her time in the service and had some great stories. She kept in contact with a few of her friends and they all went to the dedication of the WAC memorial in Washington DC. She donated one of her uniforms to the museum. I hope you find this useful and I'd you questions please contact me, thank you very much for so interested in my mother's service. She was a very proud American and a spicy woman.

Fern is no longer with us she passed a few years back but I hope with this post we can keep her memory alive this was Fern a few years ago at the womens war memorial

post-123-0-34335000-1429033374.jpg

Thank you I have her separation paper work on a pdf Ill have to go print it this week so I can post it here unless someone knows how to do it, here are a few more pictures of Fern

post-123-0-28226200-1429033447.jpg

post-123-0-75424900-1429033458.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
rice paddy daddy

Great posts!

Thanks for sharing this with us. I am always interested in women veteran stories.

• 4 weeks later...