Thoughts on this uniform? USN 1920's

sgtpete

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

i agree the jumper looks 100% legit ,the trousers look a little too good, what kind of taggage do the trousers have?

Is it named?

yes, it looks like the name is stenciled along the shirt hem. The earliest date I can find in the musters rolls is 1934.

I don't know if the pants have any tags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may be wrong but is the eagle facing the right direction?

Just noticed that now, strange, Shipfitter 1st Class, don't think it was in the 20s-30s a right rate, wasn't of the Seaman Branch, lets see what the Navy Rate pros have to say.

This uniform was issued until 1940, and worn until 1942; but this particular example appears to have been made prior to 1937.

RC

The crow is correct for a 1930s jumper. The direction was changed in 1941 so it would face forward.

And right you are jguy, we see an example of this on one PO 2nd Class Henry J. Poy, circa 1925.

post-34986-0-33580200-1424793894.jpg

Couple of "Info" things about US Navy White uniforms. First, the neckerchief was NEVER tucked through the loop on the fromt of the jumper. The knot was tied through it. The loop was never seen.

Second, there were no tags. "Tag" information was stamped, in ink. It quickly washed out. When brand new, they had paper tags which were torn off and fiscarded

• 2 weeks later...

Items were re-listed and I won them. I will post more pictures when I receive them. I forgot to add the photo of the laundry mark, shown below. The seller said that the pants, with no markings, most likely are not part of the jumper, but from a brother who joined later on in the war.

post-6322-0-21006900-1425931020.jpg

Thanks all for your help. I purchased this group based on all your expert advice. I received them yesterday. The pants are clearly newer then the jumper, but I was mainly interested in the jumper, as it was marked. The jumper was marked on the bottom hem on the right side. I very lightly re-tied the square knot in the neckerchief.

This belonged to John W Bankowski. He entered the Navy around 1931. I suspect this jumper was with him until he was promoted to Chief Ship Fitter on Feb 16, 1942. I assume that he left them home while on a leave as the uniform was not necessary anymore.

He was lost of the USS Juneau 11/13/42.

post-6322-0-78070800-1426613903.jpg

post-6322-0-09417600-1426613916.jpg

post-6322-0-38949000-1426613925.jpg

post-6322-0-72274900-1426613930.jpg

post-6322-0-83929900-1426613935.jpg

Beautiful jumper. Always liked the dress white jumpers. I really do not think this was issued to him in 1931. Whites did not last all that long with daily use before they were ruined. A dress white jumper might get one or two seasons depending

Were the flap and cuffs on this type always Navy Blue wool or could they also be seen in Navy Blue ribbed twill, the material the overall shirt was made out of IE White ribbed twill.

RustyCanteen

Were the flap and cuffs on this type always Navy Blue wool or could they also be seen in Navy Blue ribbed twill, the material the overall shirt was made out of IE White ribbed twill.

The change to blue twill made made by 1937, so this would have been made no later than that date. All dress white jumpers made from 1937-1940 would have used blue twill instead.

RC

The cuffs and collar of this jumper appear to be wool. The bodies and sleeves were made of 8 oz white cotton twill from 1886 on. The other thing to remember is that just because the wool cuffs and collars were dropped in '37, does not mean they did not continue to be worn and avsilable until stocks were depleted