Iraqi Kevlar, Desert Storm Bringback

thorin6

I picked up a couple of Kevlars while in Kuwait City after the end of the war. One was clearly US made, painted black, and was most likely a police helmet. I gave it to my oldest son to play with and he still has it. This was the other Kevlar, which I inferred was a cheaply made copy of the US Kevlars and used it for years to display my Desert Storm helmet cover. Recently it came to my notice that this was a limit issue helmet to certain elite or special forces in the Iraqi army, although I don't know which units. It is apparently a very uncommon helmet, and certainly different than the average Iraqi helmet that basically looks like a very thick M1 liner. Here are several pictures of the helmet and the markings/tag inside. The last picture shows the deterioration of the rim material, which isn't holding up well. Then again, the helmet is over 20 years old, but my Kevlar that I wore to Desert Storm doesn't show the same deterioration.

post-11546-0-29421700-1424651567.jpg

I don't know squat about this helmet but can spot some differences from the average US K-pot. Really neat bringback, I'd love to see the other Iraqi helmet you brought back. Thanks for your service man. I've really been getting into Desert Storm era militaria lately

But not painted sand camo, and no external markings. Interesting. So some of the elite forces got a helmet that might actually stop a bullet, unlike the M80 and M90. Rank hath its priviledge. But I would have expected these guys to put their triangle or circle on the exterior.

But not painted sand camo, and no external markings. Interesting. So some of the elite forces got a helmet that might actually stop a bullet, unlike the M80 and M90. Rank hath its priviledge. But I would have expected these guys to put their triangle or circle on the exterior.

I always wondered about that but never asked. So they really didn't provide that much protection huh? They look like plastic Hawleys.

I have a few of the M80s and M90s, including one fatality. Shrapnel actually hit the liner rivet, so it stuck right there; other wise that would have smarted a bit. Evidently his uniform was not quite so impervious. They are like a compressed fiber that is not very dense. I have never held a Hawley so I can't compare, but they look very similar.

But, back to the point of this thread, I haven't seen many of the "fritz" type Iraqi helmets, and I do think they are fairly rare. A definite keeper, on top of your personal history with it. A family heirloom for sure.

Desert Storm bringbacks are my faves, I'm not sure why. This is one of the nicest bringback helmets I have seen from DS. I would love to see what else you brought home.

Thanks for the comments. Here's a couple of other pics, one shows the standard type helmet underneath an Iraqi flag, and the other shows my Iraqi bayonet from Faylakah Island just off the coast near Kuwait City. There's also an Iraqi beret with airborne wings next to the bayonet. As an aside, very few Iraqi flags were found as the Kuwaitis took them down and burned them as soon as possible.

I gave away or sold a ton of field gear over the years, but still have a footlocker of various items.

post-11546-0-02998700-1424661120.jpg

post-11546-0-13787400-1424661132.jpg

I wouldn't call the helmet rare as they do turn up regularly and are well documented from the Desert Storm period to OIF. That being said, they tend to command very high prices for those that want them, generally over $700.00 for an H.H.D. marked one. So, great find and some awesome bring backs! Scott