WWII Battle Damaged Japanese Rifle brought back by Navy Admiral

KASTAUFFER

This a battle damaged Type 99 Japanese rifle that was brought back by a US Navy Admiral during WWII. I would guess that Naval Gunfire did the damage.

His medals are posted here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/233381-wwii-silver-star-group-to-admiral-beck-pearl-harbor-survivor/

It has a nice shipboard made canvas storage bag that fits it snugly.

I do not know which Island he brought it back from as it is not documented in his papers, but he did bring back a Samurai Sword as well. I do not have that. Legend is that he brought it home from Tarawa.

This rifle, even with the massive damage done to it still functions. The numbers all match. You can move the bolt and pull the trigger. It is not something anyone would EVER want to fire though. It is strictly a war relic. It would be dangerous to fire.

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

There must have been some significance to that particular rifle with plenty of Japanese rifles in good shape there for the taking. I suppose it might have been earlier in the war when no one knew whose guns were to become spoils of war. In any event a very nice piece. Different is better.

Very Cool,but all you need is an extra screw? lol

LOL, yea, it needs more than just the screw, but the rifle "wiggles" a lot because of that one particular missing screw. I figured it I replaced it , it wouldnt feel like it was going to break in half.

Kurt