USN 6 ¾ Inch Binnacle

I found this at a flea market. It is marked “6 ¾ inch Binnacle” and made by C. G. Conn, LTD. Elkhart Indiana, in 1942. C. G. Conn made musical instruments prior to and after WW II and because it had experience working with brass, they made many brass items for the military, particularly the USN during WW II. This example is just the very top of the binnacle, it is missing the “Navigator’s Balls”.

Doing a bit of internet research, I see some of these that have had the original wrinkle finish grey paint removed and the brass polished to pretty it up. To me that takes a lot of the history away.

It will go well in our “Indiana Made” area of the museum as we are located in Indiana.

My question is, does anyone know what type of ships would this size binnacle have gone on?

Also, I would love to see a photo of this type of binnacle on the ship.

From a popular internet web information site:

“A binnacle is a waist-high case or stand on the deck of a ship, generally mounted in front of the helmsman, in which navigational instruments are placed for easy and quick reference as well as to protect the delicate instruments. Its traditional purpose was to hold the ship's magnetic compass, mounted in gimbals to keep it level while the ship pitched and rolled. A binnacle may be subdivided into sections and its contents typically include one or more compasses and an oil lamp or other light source.

The construction of many early (mid-18th century) binnacles used iron nails, which were later discovered to cause magnetic deviations in compass readings. As the development of the compass and understanding of magnetism progressed, greater attention was given to binnacle construction to avoid compass disturbances caused by iron.

With the introduction of iron-clad ships the magnetic deviation observed in compasses became more severe. Methods of compensation by arranging iron or magnetic objects near the binnacle were developed. In 1854, a new type of binnacle was patented by John Gray of Liverpool which directly incorporated adjustable correcting magnets on screws or rack and pinions. This was improved again when Lord Kelvin patented in the 1880s another system of compass and which incorporated two compensating magnets. These are colloquially known as "Kelvin's Balls” in the UK, and "Navigator's Balls" in the United States.”

Thanks for looking.

BKW

post-1549-0-88752100-1424610846.jpg

post-1549-0-52605600-1424610930.jpg

Probably Destroyer types or smaller. As far as removing the paint to "Pretty" them up, we did a LOT of that on the ships ?. Pain in the butt and one more thing to do

Thanks for the info sigsaye,

A friend of mine spent a couple of years at the helm of the USS Nicholson during WW II, I'll have to show it to him and see what he has to say. I'm glad the Captain of the ship this came off of wasn't into shiny brass!

BKW

Hi Chris,

Yes I did see your thread about your nice compass, used but not abused condition. As mentioned, I don't really like them polished up when that is not how they were issued. As sigsaye, mentioned, sometimes they did get polished while in USN service, but I like the "original" look. After seeing yours, I now know of another C. G. Conn made WW II USN instrument. Thanks for your input and interest.

I'd like to find a photo of mine on a WW II USN ship to exhibit with it.

BKW

A lot of times, it's not so much to make them pretty (although oat times it is ?). Sometimes they just get so banged and chipped it's easier to just strip them and polish them ( I personally hated shining bright work and when I made SM1 painted all I could)

Great Photo's sgtpete, I enjoyed reading about each of those ships. sigsaye, thanks for the additional comments. While I did serve under the command of a US Navy Commander, it was in Afghanistan and he was what we called a "dirt sailor", not a ship (or body of water) in a LOT of miles! As an E-8, I didn't have to pull details, so no binnacle polishing for me!

Thanks!

BKW