First B-52 restored from Davis-Monthan

gwb123

What a magnificent sight! The more the merrier, say I. Frankly, I was rather hoping to have seen a squadron of "Buffs" used in a shock and awe capacity in the air campaign against IS. A few hundred tons of iron bombs from above would certainly concentrate their minds. We can but hope!

Freakin sweet news!!! Always love a good news story! But makes you wonder ....exactly why?!

Probably in response to Russia's announcement last November that bomber patrols will be extended to the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.

Freakin sweet news!!! Always love a good news story! But makes you wonder ....exactly why?!

According to the article, it was brought out of mothballs because they needed a replacement for one of the existing B-52's in the fleet which experienced a cockpit fire.

doinworkinvans

According to the article, it was brought out of mothballs because they needed a replacement for one of the existing B-52's in the fleet which experienced a cockpit fire.

True, true...but one cant help but think there are more reasons than that! Not taking this in a political direction. I for one hope it is for "shock and awe" and hopefully to show some might that we still have left!

Schofield1943

Back in 2001 when I was living in D.C. I was across the Potomac near Arlington when I noticed all these people had pulled over to the side of the road. We pulled over and found out there was a funeral at Arlington for someone in the Air Force and that a B-52 was expected to fly over low and slow.

Sure enough about five minutes later this hulking behemoth appeared and slowly made its way overhead at only a few thousand feet, leaving everyone on the side of that road in awe. Definitely a sight I will not forget.

What a magnificent sight! The more the merrier, say I. Frankly, I was rather hoping to have seen a squadron of "Buffs" used in a shock and awe capacity in the air campaign against IS. A few hundred tons of iron bombs from above would certainly concentrate their minds. We can but hope!

I think the problem is that IS has mastered the art of mixing in tightly with the local population. An Arc Light strike would take out too many of the locals. Most of the footage of from the current campaigns has been of more precise strikes.

I think it is very sad when a 1961 model aircraft has to be brought back out of storage to replace another B-52 damaged by poor maintenance. That says a lot about the current US bomber fleet which has only 158 total airplanes, only 3/4s are maintenance worthy at any one time, and almost half are more than 50 years old!

• 4 weeks later...

Remember that the reason the B-52 is still around is that it carries a hell of a lot of cruise missiles to any location in the world. It isn't about iron bombs anymore. A single B-52 outguns any US Navy guided missile fleet with full stand-off capability. They are absolutely potent.

-Ski