wwii usmc marked shovel cover MINT!

Username

I have found a couple pencil markings inside. Perhaps to be used during manufacturing. There is an X written in pencil and "in" written in pencil near the belt hook stitch. The word "in" is upside down in the photo.

post-153820-0-62048100-1424605262.jpg

Although this cover is alarmingly mint, I think it is most likely the real deal. Everything seems correct and its construction is typical of early usmc items I have seen. I'm very happy with this cover.

Perhaps "in" is written on the inside of the belt hook stitch and "out" is written on the outside. The "out" would be under the stitch so theres know way to tell for sure.

Higher quality photos with zoom can be found here: http://imgur.com/CHqZr2u,JlqvVYt,3ZmRm8v,Ky39X63,R2BdFvs,nqznrVn,RXSAIxZ,fr4bSqV,BqauDGm,UxgF3DB,Ueg5US4,mNjxLNn,3ixTQkc#9

It truly is a stone mint item. I like these kind of items because it shows what they would have looked like when issued. Overall very cool.

I believe the 1920's - 1930's made usmc gear where the only ones stamped usmc. I recall seeing a usmc stamped first aid pouch, shovel cover, pick mattock cover, canteen cover and a haversack with pack tail. So I would assume most other usmc stamped items would have to be either custom done or fake. I'm not sure about the usmc marked drum pouches, I have heard people say its fake and others say they are the real deal.

Username - You might be right but on the other hand how do we really know this? Without any documentation or photos sometimes I think it sounds a bit like collectors saying "well the stuff I have is correct but the stuff you have isn't". Who knows, perhaps early in WWII the marines started stamping some of their gear with "USMC" and then the war escalated so quickly and they needed so much equipment so quickly they simply abandoned the process? Not saying I am right just something to think about with this stuff.

That said, your comments and others are noted and will go in the data bank. :)

Very best,

Bill K.

Username - You might be right but on the other hand how do we really know this? Without any documentation or photos sometimes I think it sounds a bit like collectors saying "well the stuff I have is correct but the stuff you have isn't". Who knows, perhaps early in WWII the marines started stamping some of their gear with "USMC" and then the war escalated so quickly and they needed so much equipment so quickly they simply abandoned the process? Not saying I am right just something to think about with this stuff.

That said, your comments and others are noted and will go in the data bank. :)

Very best,

Bill K.

I have seen many usmc issue items stamped with usmc. I don't think it makes them any less authentic, but perhaps they weren't factory applied.

It truly is a stone mint item. I like these kind of items because it shows what they would have looked like when issued. Overall very cool.

Every time someone uses the term "Stone Mint".... But for real though great items thanks for sharing.

post-153625-0-27989400-1424654744.jpg

And speaking of proper shapes on this stuff, here is a good illustration of how they likely were not terribly fussy at the ol' DQP.

The one in the center looks to be the most perfect of the lot.

post-3226-0-99100100-1424658825.jpg

Hi,

After seeing some more photos and details, I'm fairly confident the pouch is the real deal. A lot fresher than normal for sure.

Cheers,

-Steve

• 3 years later...

Also, here's one of those pieces made in the late '30s which was stamped on the outside, shown with an M1912 Pistol Belt of the same stripe.

There is a thread on the Forum which contains period photos of these in use in the late '30s and early '40s.

I'm curious what is it about this cover that sets it apart from other fakes. The overall consensus on this forum has always been that any etool pouches marked USMC on the outside were fake. Is there information that these were used in the 1930s?