wwii usmc marked shovel cover MINT!

Username

I recently picked up this minty usmc marked shovel cover! Its the first shovel cover I have found with the "usmc" stamped inside. I would love to hear some opinions!

thanks

post-153820-0-99741700-1424541670.jpg

Wow, what a beaut!!!!! A hearty congrats on this killer find!

Thank you Flage guy! You have a couple of these usmc marked shovel covers correct?

Yeah, I have 2 like yours, one used and the other mint, but they are each stamped with differing letters. You can see both of these font styles on various prewar web gear...

post-3226-0-56111200-1424555908.jpg

Also, here's one of those pieces made in the late '30s which was stamped on the outside, shown with an M1912 Pistol Belt of the same stripe.

There is a thread on the Forum which contains period photos of these in use in the late '30s and early '40s.

post-3226-0-30943900-1424556182.jpeg

Which thread showed that cover in use? I've seen earlier posts of that cover and thought it was odd, but didn't doubt its authenticity. It would be very cool to see a period photo.

I have a shovel cover marked on the outside like the one above also a 1st aid pouch - they came in a grouping with a 3rd Marine Division forest green uniform and other knickknacks - I always assumed the items were faked and thrown in to spice up the grouping - In the end I didn't pay too much for the group so just tossed the shovel cover aside somewhere in the storage facility. There's long thread on here somewhere about fake "USMC" stamped items, I think I posted my pic of the shovel cover but maybe only the 1st aid pouch, can't remember it was a while ago. So these shovel covers are legit? Wow - have to dig mine out!

As an aside, I never understood the USMC way of stamping! Some things are stamped, others aren't, some are stamped on the back, some of the front, some on the inside and some on the outside. Why not just stamp everything on the outside? The marines have two great "trademark" logos going for them - the "USMC" and the "EGA" I would think they would be plastering them on everything!

Very best,

Bill K.

I have a shovel cover marked on the outside like the one above also a 1st aid pouch - they came in a grouping with a 3rd Marine Division forest green uniform and other knickknacks - I always assumed the items were faked and thrown in to spice up the grouping - In the end I didn't pay too much for the group so just tossed the shovel cover aside somewhere in the storage facility. There's long thread on here somewhere about fake "USMC" stamped items, I think I posted my pic of the shovel cover but maybe only the 1st aid pouch, can't remember it was a while ago. So these shovel covers are legit? Wow - have to dig mine out!

As an aside, I never understood the USMC way of stamping! Some things are stamped, others aren't, some are stamped on the back, some of the front, some on the inside and some on the outside. Why not just stamp everything on the outside? The marines have two great "trademark" logos going for them - the "USMC" and the "EGA" I would think they would be plastering them on everything!

Very best,

Bill K.

I remember seeing a second pattern usmc style first aid pouch on ebay almost a year ago. It was stamped on the inside with the same style stamp thats inside my shovel cover. Its the only usmc marked first aid pouch I have ever seen. Is yours like that?

I would love to see some pictures of these things of you have any available.

Thanks!

Username -

No my pouch, and its an M1942 pouch by the way forgot to mention, is marked on the outside but below the flap in the same font style as your shovel cover on the right. My shovel cover looks exactly like the one in 'Flageguy's photo but I cannot recall if mine is a WWI cover or WWII style? I'll have to check. As I said, I was always told by "those in the know" that these stamped USMC things were fake. Since I never claim I am any expert I have always taken their word for it but who knows? I also have a M1928 Thompson drum magazine bag stamped USMC in the same font styles shown here - again I was told by and "expert" that it was "wrong".

Best -

Bill K.

Hi username,

Thanks for sharing these photos with us. While initially this appears to be a very nice shovel cover with the rare 'USMC' stamp, I have some reservations. I would really like to see this cover in hand or at least quality macro photographs. There's no obvious redflags but it does raise a few questions for me, maybe just because these almost never come around like that.

The construction appears correct but the shape is off, the right side of the cover appears almost triangular. Have you tried putting a shovel in it to see if it actually fits? I have never seen another example so triangular in construction, not to say it's impossible.

The metal tip is correct but slightly incorrectly installed. The three prongs should be properly bent to dig into the strap and securely hold it, but this is maybe just another manufacturing flaw.

The most concerning for me is that I'm not convince it was made 70+ years ago based on the stitching inside the cover. It appears almost as if the needle has punched threw the old material and brought too made fibres with it, my opinion is that this is something that happens when you try to sew very old material. Perhaps we can see a better photo of this?

For me this shovel cover still has a good chance, but I remain somewhat skeptical until we see more.

Regards,

-Steve

All just my .02 cents... but the triangle shape of it isn't off at all. I have seen other depot manufactured shovel covers with the same construction. (Not very helpful without pictures.) If I can find them I will post them with consent of the owner, to help this thread. One photo that Jim had posted on another thread shows the triangle construction well of the u.s.m.c stamped cover above that belongs to him. The thread was started by you Steve1987 and is called 'USMC Phila. Depot shovel covers & .45 mag pouches'. The photo is the 6th photo posted by Jim on the thread. There is a lot of resemblance between Username's and Jim's.

Username -

No my pouch, and its an M1942 pouch by the way forgot to mention, is marked on the outside but below the flap in the same font style as your shovel cover on the right. My shovel cover looks exactly like the one in 'Flageguy's photo but I cannot recall if mine is a WWI cover or WWII style? I'll have to check. As I said, I was always told by "those in the know" that these stamped USMC things were fake. Since I never claim I am any expert I have always taken their word for it but who knows? I also have a M1928 Thompson drum magazine bag stamped USMC in the same font styles shown here - again I was told by and "expert" that it was "wrong".

Best -

Bill K.

I found the thread and the pictures that you posted, in the thread labeled 'USMC Marked Pouches'.

Username -

Best -

Bill K.

I believe the 1920's - 1930's made usmc gear where the only ones stamped usmc. I recall seeing a usmc stamped first aid pouch, shovel cover, pick mattock cover, canteen cover and a haversack with pack tail. So I would assume most other usmc stamped items would have to be either custom done or fake. I'm not sure about the usmc marked drum pouches, I have heard people say its fake and others say they are the real deal.

Hi username,

Thanks for sharing these photos with us. While initially this appears to be a very nice shovel cover with the rare 'USMC' stamp, I have some reservations. I would really like to see this cover in hand or at least quality macro photographs. There's no obvious redflags but it does raise a few questions for me, maybe just because these almost never come around like that.

The construction appears correct but the shape is off, the right side of the cover appears almost triangular. Have you tried putting a shovel in it to see if it actually fits? I have never seen another example so triangular in construction, not to say it's impossible.

The metal tip is correct but slightly incorrectly installed. The three prongs should be properly bent to dig into the strap and securely hold it, but this is maybe just another manufacturing flaw.

The most concerning for me is that I'm not convince it was made 70+ years ago based on the stitching inside the cover. It appears almost as if the needle has punched threw the old material and brought too made fibres with it, my opinion is that this is something that happens when you try to sew very old material. Perhaps we can see a better photo of this?

For me this shovel cover still has a good chance, but I remain somewhat skeptical until we see more.

Regards,

-Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve!

The inside seam is caved in a little bit causing it to look a little bit triangular, I can stuff it back out and it should look normal. I will add some better photos asap.

Heres some better photos. The left side of the covers seam is caved into the cover a little bit causing it to look a little out of shape, but comparing it to my other shovel cover I can tell a shovel would fit inside for sure.

post-153820-0-65272200-1424604547.jpg

Heres a picture of the stitching on the inside of the cover. I happen to know a little bit about sewing machines, and if you leave the tension on the bobbin too high it will cause the stitch to look rough on the underside. This is an alarmingly mint cover and I cant seem to find any problems with it so far.

post-153820-0-78810700-1424604956.jpg